Any Issues With Fitting A Door Here?

Thought I'd update the thread, had the door fitted now, they did an OK job, not overly impressed with the cracks in the wall, think they could have been a bit more careful to avoid that but there we go, seems to me it cracked where they drilled it to get the strongboys in, they also drilled everything from the inside which is why there are a series of render patches up the each jamb, I would have though either drilling from the outside in would be less destructive though I'm unsure why they even needed to drill the holes on the jambs at all? I had to lend them my Rivet gun so they could attach the security strips properly, they were just going to silicone them on, also I'm kicking myself for not saying I would apply the silicone seal between the door/masonry, its functional but looks like my boy did it. I'll build a little step now.

IMG20220505175725.jpg

Sponsored Links
I wondering a landing area might be possible, by moving the steps further forward?
That's what I envisaged. The top tread or slab area would now need to advance forward about 900mm in order to land fully under the door exit, meaning all the steps below would need to advance the same amount wholesale. Unless of course the OP can change the way they descend (doubtful).

Thought I'd update the thread, had the door fitted now, they did an OK job, not overly impressed with the cracks in the wall, think they could have been a bit more careful to avoid that but there we go, seems to me it cracked where they drilled it to get the strongboys in, they also drilled everything from the inside which is why there are a series of render patches up the each jamb, I would have though either drilling from the outside in would be less destructive though I'm unsure why they even needed to drill the holes on the jambs at all? I had to lend them my Rivet gun so they could attach the security strips properly, they were just going to silicone them on, also I'm kicking myself for not saying I would apply the silicone seal between the door/masonry, its functional but looks like my boy did it. I'll build a little step now.

View attachment 269082

I bet he doesn't. ;)

A 100mm bearing for a conc. lintel over a door-width would be perfectly OK.

Sponsored Links
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I would have considered cutting a couple of internal steps in the garage wall/floor and fitting the door level with the second step.

I bet he doesn't. ;)
I definitely will be, it's too high to not, expect I'll construct it with a bit of reclaimed decking or similar, so glad we did the door, it's already been a godsend this weekend.

Wouldn't it have been much safer to have the door hinge on the opposite side?

so glad we did the door, it's already been a godsend this weekend.
Without a doubt, it was crying out for a personnel door. Not everyone that uses that door will be an acrobat like you though. You may as well dig a big hole and cover it with twigs and leaves.:mrgreen:

Nonsense, you're all being a bit overactive, the only people who use it will be familiar with it, I'll post a pic of the step when done so you can all criticise that too. (n)

Last edited:
I'll post a pic of the step when done so you can all criticise that too.
"...Hello all you pro builders at public forum DIYnot, that give your time for free - can you run your eye over my proposals? Please don't give any advice I don't like, thanks.."

Look forward to seeing that step.:)

It's really got your goat hasn't it, respectfully I was really asking for advice with regards to making a hole in the wall aspect and any advice given with respect to that has been taken on board and adhered to, I might add you added nothing to the thread until I posted the finished door pic. I've already openly admitted the door situation is not ideal but it is what it is, I suppose I could spend another grand or something completely remodelling the stairs but frankly I have much more pressing things to sort before that. I wouldn't get too excited about the step, it'll merely be a bit of reclaimed decking on a timber frame.

I was really asking for advice with regards to making a hole in the wall
"me...me...me..."

Respectfully I was responding to another posters input. We would often do that before you came along and changed the public forum rules. :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back