Any pipes in this wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Putting brackets up in this wall. Above rail It's plasterboard. Any pipes in it? I'm checking with detector and magnets. Above the electric board the magnets are being pushed away from wall rather than attracted in, electricity present?
1606822402925401164195212474222.jpg

1606820713511814912769752990194.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any pipes in it? I'm checking with detector and magnets. Above the electric board the magnets are being pushed away from wall rather than attracted in, electricity present?

A magnet will only help you find iron and steel, cables are copper. The only things able to repel a magnet, are another magnet, or a solenoid running on dc. Your mains cables operate on ac.

A (metal ?) detector might find cables hidden behind the plasterboard, but there is no certainty. The only way to know for sure, is with the Mk I eyeball.

Well my cheapo detector found nothing to the left of the electric board but was buzzing non stop above it. No metal detected at all. Magnets picked up nothing- was hoping to find the screws in studs. I wont put shelf above electric board just over the rest. How about duo 6mm plugs in 5mm drilled holes, will they hold brackets and small shelf? Or will have to be plasterboard fixings?

Sponsored Links
I am beginning to wonder if this "Keitai" character is just one of the other forum regulars posting made up stuff for everybody else's amusement...

the magnets are being pushed away from wall rather than attracted in

F047EE1E-3C38-4411-9F55-B251AFF2D826.jpeg

The magnet you’re holding against the wall A is being attracted to the magnet you’re holding in your fist B, giving the impression that A is being pushed away from the wall.

I am beginning to wonder if this "Keitai" character is just one of the other forum regulars posting made up stuff for everybody else's amusement...

One of them??? It would take a team of writers to come up with all this stuff.

Just go full pelt at it. If you are going to burst a pipe you may as well do it quickly and get it over with. Imagine going slowly and putting a pin hole in it that didn't show until you had left and then the customer called you back?
Get it over and done with. That way if you hit a pipe or a cable you will know about it instantly.

Just go full pelt at it. If you are going to burst a pipe you may as well do it quickly and get it over with.

Before you start, make absolutely sure that you have no idea where the stop tap is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back