Any Point Servicing Boiler?

C

cb9002

I've got a Greenstar 30 CDi on a brand new sealed system. It's coming up to two years old. Being a modern combi there's no pilot to clog, no thermocouple to replace, no flame picture to check and nothing to bleed.

So, not being facetious here, is there any point getting it serviced and what is the engineer going to do?

Hoover out the case, check the waste gases using a FGA, and pump up the expansion vessel maybe?

Or is it worth the money and taking a morning off work to have it done? I'm just curious as to whether these modern combi's need servicing, especially as it gets little use.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could always leave it alone - I'm sure that it won't break down on the coldest day of the year when you won't be able to get hold of a Corgi engineer for at least a week or three (they will all be busy fixing systems that haven't been looked after)

I tend to find that not servicing my car or van is OK - right up to the point when they break down from lack of servicing!

It is more important than ever to service some modern condensing boilers.

The heat exchanger can clog up with deposits...some are so bad they are a right-off.

The condensate trap can be full of crud.

Modern expansion vessels are carp and need re-inflating after just a couple of years.

The build quality is at an all time low so it's vital to check for leaks before serious damage (corrosion etc) occurs.

If there's the slightest muck in the system water the auto air vents often leak water resulting in possible damage.

And of course most manufacturers warranties insist on a full service history and the book stamped (although they still probably won't pay out :) )

Having said all that I've found some Worcester heat exchangers (and the traps) still very clean after 3 years and others very clogged up. It's down to operating conditions and luck.
Your main problem will be finding someone that rigorously carries out the service as per the book (and uses new gaskets and the proper cleaning brush).

If the service is done properly the cost will often outweigh the gas savings from a condensing boiler...unless you have a very large property (the goverment forgot to tell you that :evil: )

I've got a Greenstar 30 CDi on a brand new sealed system. It's coming up to two years old. Being a modern combi there's no pilot to clog, no thermocouple to replace, no flame picture to check and nothing to bleed.

So, not being facetious here, is there any point getting it serviced and what is the engineer going to do?

Hoover out the case, check the waste gases using a FGA, and pump up the expansion vessel maybe?

Or is it worth the money and taking a morning off work to have it done? I'm just curious as to whether these modern combi's need servicing, especially as it gets little use.

Thanks.

That only leaves cleaning out the condensate trap, which on your alloy heat exchangered boiler will gradually decompose itself into. Provided of course it doesn't leak causing premature corrosion of the area around it. Then of course there are other minor leaks caused by mis-shapened o-rings, worn washers etc. Then on the dry side add gaskets, baffles, burner, electrodes, HT leads and so on. But as you say it's a modern combi so just leave it for 20 years and see what's inside. If it breaks down before then just blame the manufacturer, installer, merchant, CORGI, The Government or indeed anyone but yourself for the idea to ignore manufacturers instruction and industry advice that's been consistent for over 40 years.

Sponsored Links
I could look at a gas valve all day and it can pack in as soon as I get to my van, but there are things that can be picked up on a service... Little safety things like defective regulator, leaks in the gas supply, faulty thermostats and overheat devices, your boiler is half plastic and can develop cracks and leaks...I could go on.

Servicing helps catch little problems before they become big problems.

Come the first frost, I too will be very busy fixing all those systems that are already broken but the customer will put off because it isn't cold yet...

Servicing my van doesn't guarantee that I won't break down but it does reduce the risk dramatically.. and I do know that it is safe to drive

This is the heat exchanger on a Buderus after just ONE year. I hadn't even removed the lower baffle yet since it was stuck until some preliminary cleaning was carried out. Ok it's a different boiler but if the conditions are right you can get a lot of deposits.

This is the heat exchanger on a Buderus after just ONE year. I hadn't even removed the lower baffle yet since it was stuck until some preliminary cleaning was carried out. Ok it's a different boiler but if the conditions are right you can get a lot of deposits.

F/h**l Gg, thanks for that. Have fitted one before and was worried about alloy and Buderus is supposed to be the best of them. Thankfully gone back to stainless for some time now and found pretty clean on servicing.

The system had been setup to condense as much as possible (very oversized rads etc and low DHW temperature). The deposits brushed off fairly easily and the outside was fairly clean. These are cheap anyway ..about £90 last time I enquired....most other heat exchangers wright the boiler off.

So lads in short you would all say

"Yes there is a point in getting ya boiler serviced"

:)

Do you think I ought to look in my Netaheat then?
I took the case off once, there was a dead wasp in there, but nothing else which needed attention.
Maybe it just KNOWS I have multiple spares for all its bits!

A couple of years ago I went to a vaillant condensing boiler which had been serviced by BG since new.

It was leaking onto a sensor and causing it to not light up.

It was really past economic repair but I listed 11 faults which needed attention. She called BG under their cover and the first engineer spent about 10 minutes reading my list !

To give him his due he did not complain or disagree and set about listing the new parts required and they ordered them and got them fitted.

Lucky lady had her house bought at inflated price a year later for a housing development .

Tony

So lads in short you would all say

"Yes there is a point in getting ya boiler serviced"

:)

The best are stainless steel heat exchangers with a top mounted burner and bottom take off flue,. They do not need cleaning as the condensate washes them down. Many makers say all they need is a visual look over and flue gas analyser inserted into the flue to ensure correct combustion.

Go for one of these. In short, they don't really need a service, just a check. Like a car, you know when the engine needs attention when the fuel consumption starts to rise. I kept all my fuel bills and mileage on a spreadsheet and when the fuel mpg started to rise I knew something was wrong. Nipped it in the bud. This is a bit more difficult to do with a boiler, unless you know the run times of the boiler and outside temps, etc.

Like a car, you know when the engine needs attention when the fuel consumption starts to rise. I kept all my fuel bills and mileage on a spreadsheet and when the fuel mpg started to rise I knew something was wrong. Nipped it in the bud. This is a bit more difficult to do with a boiler, unless you know the run times of the boiler and outside temps, etc.

FFS life's too short. Just imagine those who get to spend it with a buxom wench on one arm, a bottle of champoo in the other whilst having another 2k on the outsider at Ascot. Meanwhile Drivel's sat with his trainspotting notepad checking his mpg and gas rate figures by candlelight.

Like a car, you know when the engine needs attention when the fuel consumption starts to rise. I kept all my fuel bills and mileage on a spreadsheet and when the fuel mpg started to rise I knew something was wrong. Nipped it in the bud. This is a bit more difficult to do with a boiler, unless you know the run times of the boiler and outside temps, etc.

FFS life's too short. Just imagine those who get to spend it with a buxom wench on one arm, a bottle of champoo in the other whilst having another 2k on the outsider at Ascot. Meanwhile Drivel's sat with his trainspotting notepad checking his mpg and gas rate figures by candlelight.

I can't speak for Drivel. All I did was enter my miles and petrol on a speadsheet each time I filled up, and it worked it all out for me. These computers are amazing.

All I did was enter my miles and petrol on a speadsheet each time I filled up, and it worked it all out for me. These computers are amazing.

I bet they are. Maybe James Bond should be shown doing the same in the next episode.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back