Any Saniflo experts on here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Saniflo slim in our downstairs bog and on Saturday night, rather than going all the way out to the kitchen :rolleyes: to dispose of a wodge of tissues (I have a cold), I chucked them down the bog, flushed, and shut the door. Next morning I went in there and heard a 'humming' sound, looked down and saw the water halfway up the pan. My tissues had obviously blocked it up the previous evening and it had been straining all night.

Only trouble is it’s all boxed in out of sight so there’s quite a bit of disassembly required. Is it likely to be burnt out now or can they be cleared out and restated? Just like to get an idea before tackling the job. I’m right in the doghouse now as you can imagine and I never realised how convenient it was since I’ve been having to trot upstairs every time I need to syphon the old python. :(

Sponsored Links
If you switch off the power, ladle the water out of the pan & fill it with a strong bleach (1 or 2 litres) then leave it for at least 24 but preferably 48 you may find that it will dissolve the paper enough to then flush it away. I am guessing it was paper towelling type paper rather than tissue as tissue should dissolve under it's own steam without any problem.

No expert on them - don't think many here want to be ;) but if it's not smoking/smelling burnt, and it's humming, you probably will be able to clear it and it'll work.

Considered the work of the devil, that said, mines been in and working without missing a beat for the last 15yrs. Good points made by jj and nige, others my also offer other ideas.

Sponsored Links
Not had a great deal to do with them, but from what I gather, the motors dont have a vast amount of torque, so shredding more than a few sheets at a time may not be to its liking. I'd say if you can remove the lump of tissue, and free the shredder section off, you may get away with no further damage. (Make sure you isolate the power to the unit first!!!)

Nothing to lose by trying, boxing in will have to come apart regardless unless you plan on mothballing the WC permanently. ;)

If you switch off the power, ladle the water out of the pan & fill it with a strong bleach (1 or 2 litres) then leave it for at least 24 but preferably 48 you may find that it will dissolve the paper enough to then flush it away. I am guessing it was paper towelling type paper rather than tissue as tissue should dissolve under it's own steam without any problem.
No No No!
Do not add bleach!
Turn the power off now!
I'll return when I'm home to help further

Power has been off since I noticed it on Sunday morning. No bleach added. Unfortunately I had started weeing when I noticed the increased water level so I’m left with a toilet bowl half filled with wee & water. I have a hand operated suction tool at work that I use for draining oil out of car engines through the dipstick. My plan is to bring it home, suck all the water from the pan and the macerator (through the top of it), empty the cistern, disconnect the feed pipe, remove the toilet and cistern from the wall and see if I can get my hand into it to free off/remove the clump of tissues that are in there.

normal_9394B5E6-E2F5-446B-947A-F5D35871273A.jpeg

Last edited:
There's some great advice here on what to do if you discover that you own a Saniflo...

Haha. Yes, I know they’re not ideal but this one has been working fine since 2012. The alternative for us if we went for a conventional drain would be to dig up the whole of our drive, break into the main sewer pipe that runs along the backs of our houses and build a brick chamber of some sort - many hundreds if not thousands of pounds vs a £300 macerator and 15 metres of 22mm copper pipe. Rules in our house are number ones in it only but I've had the odd number two when the wife’s been out. :D

Just don't let the wife at it after you've used it otherwise she may set it to blow and blast ya with ****y water :ROFLMAO:

Oh dear now I'm home I can see you`ve already been dismantling, my advice was going to be ..................
Remove as much water as possible from the pan with an old cup or ladle from the kitchen then add a bucket of very hot water and leave for an hour or so. After this time try the power on again and with luck the hot water would of softened the paper tennis ball you created. Can take 2 - 3 attempts but that normally sorts it with paper without dismantling anything.

see if I can get my hand into it to free off/remove the clump of tissues that are in there.

I wouldn't put a hand in - the little teeth may be accessible . I'd use a jet of water - hose or powerwash. Stick a towel in the hole round the jet and swirl the water around

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back