Any Saniflo experts on here?

Right. Removed the pan and managed to get my hand in there. Removed a big clot of tissues in there Crikey, those blades are sharp! Blades spin freely.

normal_B806FFFF-D1F5-47AC-A3EF-0A9DCC20D34A.jpeg

normal_99EE31A5-1581-458A-81B7-9EE4F164721B.jpeg

Fitted it all back together but still just buzzing. A web search points to either a burnt out motor or a capacitor. Saw this on eBay - do you think it’s worth a try? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sanislim...865848?hash=item2cccffa078:g:unUAAOSwNRdX26oy

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Remove pan again (sorry mate) and using a long screwdriver flick the blades anti clockwise if the motor fires up and pumps the water away then the capacitor is blown.
Re new cap and instructions then pm me.

Edit, Blades are stainless steel and never blunt even when taking lumps out of plastic.
If you got even the slightest nick on a finger off a blade then you need a course of jabs my friend.

Before I stripped it, I sucked all the water out of the pan, cistern and macerator with a vacuum drainer and added, via the outlet and breather, a bottle of sink and plughole cleaner plus hot water. Left it for an hour or so before trying it. Just buzzing so I then stripped it. No nicks on hands - I thought I’d stabbed my thumb on the end of a blade when I first stuck my hand in but not a mark. When I completely cleaned it out, I flicked the blade both ways. Free as a bird.
This one has been in since 2011/2012 so I think it’s best to cut my losses and replace it. Thanks for all your advice. (y)

Sponsored Links
so I think it’s best to cut my losses and replace it.
It's your money, but a capacitor is £4, a new Sanislim is £350.

The whole lot will have to be taken out in any event, so you may as well try the capacitor first.

Burnt out motors don't usually buzz.

I suppose that makes sense. I'm taking it out tomorrow anyway so I’ve just ordered a capacitor. (y)

It's your money, but a capacitor is £4, a new Sanislim is £350.

The whole lot will have to be taken out in any event, so you may as well try the capacitor first.

Burnt out motors don't usually buzz.
Your talking a lot of sense flameport, if I can`t get any from Saniflo then I get them from RS at around £4-5.

Well I ordered a five quid one and it’s just arrived and like the fooking idiot I am, i didn’t notice that I’d ordered a 450v one. Oh ballcocks!

normal_E26F7DB3-D1D0-4B73-BCB5-3F7383C92EF8.jpeg

Just looked at the advert again and it does state 450v but those appliances aren’t!

UNIVERSAL CAPACITOR SUITABLE FOR MOST APPLIANCES INCLUDING WASHING MACHINES, TUMBLE DRYERS, DISHWASHERS, OVENS, FRIDGES, FREEZERS, JET WASHERS ETC.

450VAC 50/60 Hz

Or is 450v the maximum?

Last edited:
450V is correct, fit it it will be fine as long as the old one was also 4μF. Most motor caps will be 450V rated.

Right. Got it out, took lid off, gave it a good blast out with the hose, fitted it back together, stuck a plug on the wire, plugged it into an extension, filled with water and it still hummed. Stripped it again, got at the capacitor and this is what I’ve got.

normal_332EAC6B-3E64-43B4-A8D7-4B3E5C14FBF9.jpeg

normal_82EB48FC-12C1-45B5-8E3B-A2D7A764DC5A.jpeg

normal_855E3EC6-FBBE-4835-85C6-800682017B95.jpeg

A few more questions. Does the bulge on the bottom of the capacitor indicate that it has blown? Can I connect 249v to the live and neutral and switch on to test motor? If it is capacitor, where can I get one from and does it matter which way round it I’d connected as there seems to be no markings on the wires? Sorry for questions.

Yep that`s blown, wish I could add photo as I`ve got 2 crackers from this week.
Wires can go either way round.
You can get them from RS Supplies.

Last edited:
Thanks. Can I connect a 240v supply to the live and neutral wires to just check the motor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back