Any sort of glue/araldite type solution for this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Recently fitted engineered wood in the living room - I had to do it myself due to financial constraints, and the finishing is the difficult part. I've still got a few issues, but the current one is this.

I've got a divider that I want to put in this gap between the lounge and the kitchen. I can't fit it using the clips it came with as I don't have space to "hook" it in as designed.

I figured I could perhaps fill the gap with some sort of compound, and put the divider into it - then weigh it down with something for a couple of days to dry. Is this viable, or completely ridiculous?

Any alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as it's not really my area and many hours of googling haven't given me much inspiration.

cheers
Matt

*edit* Excuse the horrible filled gap in the floor... I had a real squeeze getting that bit in, and the tongue split and jammed into a gap, so I was trying to close it up as much as I could. Then I tried filler but can't get a colour match, so it'll probably have to come out and I'll try again with a new piece.

IMG_20130911_183510_206_zpsb06b8bb9.jpg

IMG_20130911_183443_320_zps6035596a.jpg

Sponsored Links
you need to cut the wood back to give you an even 10-12mm gap and you must not fill this gap as its for expansion
the base bit should have been fitter during installation if you cannot get it in now

if you must try and glue as it is i would go for the tiled floor side and glue onto the tile edge only but i would expect it to fail sooner than later

by the tile edge i mean the edge and invisible top covered by the strip

Yep isn't hindsight great!

I forgot about the gap needing to stay there, good point. There's enough room there for expansion as it is I think - so now I need to think of an alternative solution!

Failing that I'll just have to pull it up and fit the base. Which would also give me chance to fix that horrible gap further back. Oh well!

cheers
Matt

is it under cut and slid under the frame
if so it wont rise at the sides so try cutting off about 4"[2 each side] to slide it under

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back