Any tips for a partial self install (pipes)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Am considering a new gas central heating install for my home (currently elec heating).

I am hopefully going to locate the boiler centrally to the house and thinking of laying pipes and mounting rads etc prior to getting someone in to do the rest.

Would using compression fittings be a bad idea and affect the flow of water.
I think the usual longer 90deg bends would benefit the flow but I am not a fan of the solder type.

any info appreciated

Sponsored Links
Apart from looking like a dogs dinner the floor joists will have to be cut deeper.

Not a fan of the solder type? , why is that?

Most installers won't like to take on a job half way through.
So best leave them to do the whole job.
Site the boiler close to demand if going for a combi,
like kitchen which would be my preferred location.
I would go for an outside wall rather than centrally.

Not a fan of solder type due to having a leak on one once and seemed ages to re seal hence the compression
why would they have to be cut deeper

Was thinking of external wall in the kitchen but was going to go where the existing hot water tank is due to a possibility of adding a conservatory to the kitchen later, its not a great distance from kitchen or bathroom

am thinking of alternate heating methods as well

Sponsored Links
Not a fan of solder type due to having a leak on one once and seemed ages to re seal hence the compression
why would they have to be cut deeper

Was thinking of external wall in the kitchen but was going to go where the existing hot water tank is due to a possibility of adding a conservatory to the kitchen later, its not a great distance from kitchen or bathroom

am thinking of alternate heating methods as well

More likely to have more leaks with compression on central heating.
Warming up and cooling down.

Compression under the floor is bonkers - bordering on the stupid.

No excuse for leaks on a new pipe and fitting where there is no water... well it happens to everyone sooner or later but still no reason to use compression. The cost is also ridiculous!

Would using compression fittings be a bad idea and affect the flow of water
They won't affect flow, but at least one of them will leak. It will be the one in the most inaccessible place, probably under expensive new tiles in the bathroom.

If you really don't want soldered joints, then use plastic pipes - no joins under the floor at all.

Because its best to have compression fittings in an accessible area as they are prone to a weep or two.
Solder fittings are more permanent and are ideally suited to underfloors.

Another thing I will say is if you are doing a new system it may be worth you considering plastic pipe work as this is what is done on most new builds.

search Hep2o on google - if you use this ensure you cut pipe squarely and use pipe inserts.

okay, compressions are a no go, ive never had one leak but do know about access issues!

might look into plastic but have seen a couple of these blow without much pressure, could be a goer

thanks for the info

If using plastic pipe use hep2o, assembled right shouldnt blow off(metal liners in the platic pipe, and silicone grease, mark depth to be sure its in all the way). again costs more than copper fittings especially if paying retail prices. easy solution get the pro's in. probably work out cheaper in the end.

Cant solder a copper fitting with water in the pipe. If the pipe and fitting were not cleaned with wire wool or cleaning pads, or fluxed then you will have leaks on soldered joints, follow the basic's and you cant go wrong.

compression joints never leaked.you can not have worked with many.you would me mad stupid and daft to use compression instead of solder in unseen or awkward places

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back