Any tips for removing 2 layers of tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

One of our kitchen wall has 2 layers of tiles on it. The area is 3m wide of double tiles floor to ceiling. My small SDS drill doesn't seem powerful enough to remove 2 tiles in one go. Is manually removing first layer the only way to deal with it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
wear glasses an gloves an use a hammer an a long steel chisel if the SDS wont hack it.
once youve got a few off the rest will maybe prise off.
you should do it in a mornin.
have a place outside to dump the debris - dont be shiftin it around.
youl probly damage the background plaster as you work - if the background is plasterboard then come back here.

upload_2018-11-7_8-27-32.png
+
upload_2018-11-7_8-22-35.png
+
upload_2018-11-7_8-23-19.png
->
upload_2018-11-7_8-24-34.png
->
upload_2018-11-7_8-26-7.png
->
upload_2018-11-7_8-26-50.png

LOL, what's the difference between club hammer and normal hammer (the type that comes in a full set of household toolbox)?

Sponsored Links
LOL, what's the difference between club hammer and normal hammer (the type that comes in a full set of household toolbox)?
Either will work. Just the weight that's different. Heavier the hammer, harder the impact.... and the more it hurts your fingers when you miss :)

Yep, I used my club hammer last night to hammer some nails into a bit of fake grass. Certainly hurts more when you hit your thumb.

But basically, I weighs more, so you can do more damage with a slower swing. Momentum.

I'll be doing this soon too - I also have 2 layers of tiles plus the added bonus of what looks like concrete holding them onto the wall. No plaster board though, all solid rock-like plaster ...

Doesnt matter what you hit them with googles are a must , had bit of flying tile stick in my tear duct one time , was bleeding down my cheek , was close ....

Inch wood chiesel , claw hammer an small bar I use to strip tile manually

You have cement under tiles , old method of fixing , the over tiling was due to the last person realising how difficult it is to remove .
Other option is simply to board over the lot with plasterboard if you can afford to loose 25mm in depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back