Remove tile layer iunderneath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the tiles in my bathroom to reveal a 2nd layer of tiles underneath with a solid layer of tile adhesive on top.

I know that some people advise that is perfectly OK to tile on top of an existing layer of tiles.
But in this case, I reckon that it would take me as long to chip off the layer of adhesive on top of the 1st layer of tiles than it would take me to remove everything back to the base wall.
I am fitting larger, thicker tiles than the existing ones so I might as well remove 2 layers.

House is 1970s breezeblock + plaster wall. When I get back to base level I expect the wall to be sound but not exactly level.

Any recommendations?

Of course when I remove layer 1 of tiles, there will probably be a layer of tile adhesive behind that!

Mike

Sponsored Links
You have to be a little careful as technically tiling onto plaster should not exceed 20kgs per sq.mtr. If you are putting for example floor tiles on the wall (a lot of people do) then you may be pushing it. I would consider what weight of tiles you use and maybe strip back. You could overboard using a backer board screwed/rawl plugged through the existing plaster/tiles and into the blockwork. The tile onto that?

Maybe just strip right back to the bare blocks and render the walls?

There are several ways to tackle this.

Anyway, I stripped back to the base wall level.
Doing so inevitably pulled off some of the finishing plaster on the wall. The rough plaster (or is it cement?) base coat is OK. Patches of the thin plaster top coat are missing. I did not get back to breeze-block level.

Question: Do I need to replaster in this case? Or will the tile adhesive even things out?

Mike

Sponsored Links
You're better tiling onto finish plaster rather than browning/bonding. If you want to do the job properly, skim it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back