Any tips on installing a fully-back-to-wall toilet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I am about to gut my inherited 1970's 'champagne' bathroom. I've done this before, but this time 'er indoors has insisted upon a fully back-to-wall close-coupled toilet.

The waste will go through the wall (new hole) with a slight fall and then straight into a (solvent welded, probably) elbow. The entire cast iron stack above ground will be replaced with PVC (apart from bottom 12") since I can't face the necessary alterations.

Anyway, what's the best way of ensuring the pan connector is soundly connected to the bog? - clearly once 'home' it won't be visible. Is it just a case of getting the waste pipe in the correct position & pushing the pan into the connector and hoping, or is there a special technique?

(Had thought of connecting pipe to pan first and then poking the waste through from the inside, but then won't be able to make good around the hole in the brickwork.)

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
fix pan connector on to toilet an then your soil pipe and put through wall.when pipe is through wall put a bucket of water down toilet just let it run out.then remove toilet and check see if any water inside under toilet.if not then put back in place and do the connections out side after you have fixed toilet in place.fill in around soil pipe out side :D

Sponsored Links
I usually use a McAlpine flexible connector. Available in various sizes. That way both ends can be connected with the pan out, then carefully push home and test.

I usually use a McAlpine flexible connector. Available in various sizes. That way both ends can be connected with the pan out, then carefully push home and test.
yeah test before you screw bog in place

Many grateful thanks for those helpful tips. I hadn't considered a flexi-connector, (thinking they were mainly for girls and those light-on-their-feet*), but it seems they really do come into their own here!

* Mark your complaints FAO: /dev/null

Looks like one of these will be just the ticket then:
52263.jpg

Good old Toolstation.

The McAlpine stuff does seem highly recommended.

The 160mm version should do?

yeah test before you screw bog in place

Absolutely - seepages of rusty water from underneath would leave my reputation in shreds.
and the wife will be on your back!!!!!! :LOL:

I can just about cope with a shi**y mess and a bit of nagging, but not both at the same time ;)

A WC-CON2 would be better and just let it telescope into the soil pipe.

A WC-CON2 would be better and just let it telescope into the soil pipe.

Thanks for that suggestion. Does it just slide through the rubber fins to the required length? (Bit of silicone spray to help it along?)

Will probably try the WC-CON2 then. I will need to make sure that the angle and position of my hole is pretty spot-on though (I've not had much practice with hole-cores). Can always fall back to the flexi if I'm not accurate enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back