Any views about gas installations by appliance sellers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to order a gas hob. The company also offers installation but I'm a bit wary about this and am considering getting a local installer to do the job. Before I decide, can I be sure that the seller's installers will be Gas Safe registered? Will they be under any time deadlines? Are any companies more reliable than others when it comes to installation? I usually use local tradespeople from Trusted Traders and have never been disappointed so that's the way I'll probably go, but gas installs are a new thing for me (a kitchen company did the old hob) and I'd appreciate your opinions on the two options.

Sponsored Links
Would be illegal for them to offer the service if the installer wasn't GSR. So I don't think they would put themselves in that position

Whether trades on TT are reliable and high quality is another question though. According to some stories for every trade person on there that is, there's another one that isn't. Cant get any better than local recommendations that doesn't cost the trader anything.

Many years ago I had a job going around with a Corgi guy as it was back then, fitting cookers, if gas I was his labour, if electric he was my labour, with electric we took are reasonable view I did refuse to fit some, but very few, but it seemed 50% of gas cookers he refused due to something not complying with regulations, cupboards too close was the main one, an inch too low would mean rejection and no effort was ever taken to correct things so they did comply, I am sure the offending cupboards in many cases could have been simply removed but we were on piece work, so to reject as did not comply we got same as fitting it, so we were better off rejecting it.

I lasted about 2 weeks and said never again did I want to work on domestic, he also scared the hell out of me with his driving.

With any normal work the trades person can arrange with house holder to do any additional work required, but with the working for a shop they have a fixed job, and there is no way they can arrange to do extra. So they could be a very good tradesman but their hands are tied, they only have two options, fit it or don't fit it.

I usually use local tradespeople from Trusted Traders and have never been disappointed
Lucky, as a tradesman one does not want to pay over the top for advertising and job finding, but there are two groups who really have no option, those starting off as a sole trader who have not built up a reputation with word of mouth on how good they are, and those who are no good so will get the wrong reputation. Most good tradesman will only belong to organisations they are forced to join, with gas the gas safe, and with electric the scheme providers, and in both cases there is a register where you can find them.

OK some times bad reputation is not deserved, I have an oil boiler with a sticker on it, saying for service call this number, the workmanship was so bad they are the last I would call, however I don't really know if it was them or some one after them. But I am not taking a chance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back