Any water softener experts out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been living in Dorset now for the past 12 years and am getting grief from my wife about needing yet another new washing machine as this one has scaled up. (already had 4 washing machines and on to 12th kettle)

Eventually decided its time to look into water softeners, but am a little confused.

I could go for a Salt based solution at about £1000 :( plus £10/month for Salt, or I could go for a magnetic solution which I can install myself for £120 :D.

I know you get what you pay for, but has anybody got any experience of either of the solutions?
Is the magnetic solution worth a go?
Do either actually work?

Any comments/recommendations would be gratefully received
/IanS

Sponsored Links
as you said , you get what you pay for.

In my opinion the magnetic ones are not as good as the salt ones, but i should point out that water softeners should not be used with washing m/cs as it shortens the life of any aluminium components (especially the bits you cant see)

If you do go for magnetic type this is the one to go for www.scalewatcher.co.uk .They have won so many awards and come back with a money back guarantees (not sure if this offer is still open).Lot of these cheap magnetic control unit on the market are lasting around five years,scalewatcher control unit are lasting over 20 years ! and also highly recommended by 'Which' and DIY magazine and won 9 Ideal Home exhibition awards.They are a little bit dearer but then you get what you pay for.

Just had a look at the Scalewatcher web site.
Looks to be exactly what I am looking for.

many thanks for the quick response.

/IanS

Sponsored Links
Hi there

did you get the scalewater in the end? How did you get on?

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back