liquid water softener

Sponsored Links
Have you used it and do you have any feedback on its performance?

It's a phosphate scale reducer. It will be the same as the Combimate, albeit slightly easier to refill.

I have not used that unit you linked to because it is silly expensive.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Dan. I meant, have you used combimate and have any feedback on its effectiveness?

They're generally not very effective as water softeners. You can reduce limescale build up to an extent but your only affecting the KH of the water and it'll drift back to what is was before after it sits in the pipes for a few hours. GH can't really be changed with chemicals alone.

Last edited:
If you google " polyphosphate water conditioners " you will find combimates and others(y)

Is it true that the combimate has little to no effect when water is stored in a mega flow before it is dispensed?
Is the Monrach Scaleout XP a better choice in this situation?

Is it true that the combimate has little to no effect when water is stored in a mega flow before it is dispensed?
Is the Monrach Scaleout XP a better choice in this situation?

Apologies if my previous reply was a bit confusing - you can chemically treat the water in order to reduce limescale, but you cannot permanently soften water using chemicals.

The Monarch device looks interesting - actually could be suited to my own house as the water main enters in an inconvenient location for a water softener :(

I entirely appreciate that combimate would not deliver the results of a water softener and instead it "conditions" the water. I've come across material which suggests that when the combimate is used in conjunction with a combi boiler where water is dispensed pretty rapidly after treatment, the benefits are much more readily realised whereas when it has water sitting in a very large megaflo (my situation) the benefits of the treatment are lost. I hope my point makes sense...

Is there validity to this? If so, where do I go next :unsure:

is the monarch a magic product which claims to reduce limescale by passing the water through a magnetic field?

They work in the same way that a copper bracelet cures rheumatism, or homeopathy cures disease.

(Explained here: http://www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com/

OK, thanks. Is it ion-exchange, like the Permutit resin?

The blurb suggests the ions collect in the resin then are released when they collect into crystals that are too big, to be captured by the mechanical filter afterwards.

No idea if it works or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back