water softener query...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a semi rural bungalow two months ago and this water softener is in the utility room between the oil fired boiler and the hot water tank. There is no make or model on the softener.
We are unfamiliar with both the softener and oil CH, (but had an oil delivery and will be getting it serviced) Though the previous owner did show me about putting salt in the softener we havent done so yet. There isnt much water in it and i dont know how much should be or how much salt to put in...so I have the following questions:

what salt blocks do we get?
does it need servicing as every so often it makes a hissing/steaming sound....is this anything to be concerned about?
does anyone recognise the type from the photos?
any other advice/tips? Thanks!
DSC08357.JPG

Attachments

• DSC08358.JPG
    DSC08358.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
Looks like a Wickes E10T. Good little unit- I have one myself. Use salt tablets in it, just pour up to the top of the lidded compartment every month or so. A 25kg bag of salt tablets costs a tenner or so.

The noise you're hearing is the regeneration cycle which is completely normal and I have mine set to happen at 2am at night as this softener cannot supply water while the regeneration is taking place.

Sponsored Links
No the regeneration process happens inside the unit so you won't see any evidence that it's happening apart from the noise.

The salt can be filled right up to the top of the chamber - only a small amount of water enters here and it's at the bottom in order to make brine to backwash the resin that actually softens the water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back