liquid water softener

Sponsored Links
@Dan have you installed combimates against a water cylinder? Do you see any issues in the effectiveness being lost when water is resting in the cylinder?

Combimates are fine with a water cylinder because the chemical is already present in the water before it passes into it.

Biggest problem with them or any siliphous phosphate type is installing it in a warm area which makes the 'balls' break down and overdose the system. It causes much the same problems as limescale buildup

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I installed a Minidue in my house when I moved in a year ago. The property is in a hard water area ( Ashford ) and it hadn't been properly lived in for a couple of years. All the taps had furred up with scale, and there were a couple of 'Bergs' growing in the toilet cistern. Cleaned everything up with some brick acid and fitted a Minidue when the new central heating system was installed.

So far so good. The taps have stayed pretty clean and the cistern looks OK as well.

It works best with the extension pipe connected rather than with the bag fitted direct to the housing. Don't know why, just does.

As mentioned elsewhere it won't soften the water, only condition it. Not sure if it's the liquid or just the vile water we have round here, but sometimes it does taste bitter. The way the dispenser works is that it discharges in timed surges rather than continuously so it might be that I occasionally pick the wrong time to fill my glass.
Most of my drinking water goes through a jug filter though which seems to sort that problem out.

As for buying one, go direct to Italy where they're made and save a fortune. I got mine for about 1/3 of the price that Osmia charge ( pre-Brexit £ collapse euro rate ). The same goes for the refills.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POMPA-DOS...639015?hash=item2a97df9627:g:hrEAAOSwH3haH~2l

It was only £130 when I got mine.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thanks for sharing your experience @Gammy leg. Do you have a combi or cylinder system?

Also, do you have any advice on minidue v combimate?

finally, what's the maintenance costs for minidue?

I have a combi which I gather you don't. When I was researching these gadgets a year ago I do remember reading that there is a maximum recommended water temperature above which the liquid may loose its efficacy.

I went for the Minidue option mainly because I didn't know about the combimate. After reading the Combimate bumph it seems to me they are basically the same except that one uses liquid and the other uses beads.
As for which to choose, I would suggest that if you ever need any kind of customer service ( which I did, and got none ) the combimate would be the way to go.
Reliability-wise, the Minidue has not let me down yet apart from not working when the refill bag is connected directly to the housing. It only works when the flexi-extension pipe is used. No biggy.

Running costs with the minidue are small. Has cost me £10 in a year ( 1no 250ml refill bag ) which I think equates to 12 cubic metres of water. The refills were also brought from the Italian merchant, however two of them had split during transit but still cheaper than UK prices.

Hope that helps.

UPDATE: I spoke with the technical department of Combimate and they confirmed that hot water cylinders would not be supported by their product. Combimate loses its effectiveness when water is sitting in pipes for a period and definitely when it sits in the hot water cylinder. It's designed for combi systems where water is turnover rapidly.

I then called the technical support department of Minidue (https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/acqua-brevetti-minidue-liquid-water-softener.html) and they've confirmed and since put in writing that their product would support the megaflo system. He described how the chemical process is very different compared to the combimate.

Thought it would be helpful to share.

Jupiter1.

Just wondering how is your Minidue performing?

After 18months I've had mine long enough to come to the conclusion that it doesn't actually work that well. Have noticed limescale build-up on the tap nozzles ( slight, but it's still there ) and also discolouration of drinking glasses when only water is used to fill them.

Additionally I think that you can taste the liquid if you're unlucky enough to get a glassful of water that has been dosed.

@Gammy leg. My experience has been very good I must say. Whilst there is some limescale build up around the taps, that's because I've not been wiping it off. The shower screen is where I see the biggest improvement. It rarely has the very stubborn water marks anymore - even when I neglect the wiping duties for a several days.
On the drinking water, this is where I've seen the biggest transformation. I look forward to my drinking water now :) However, as well as the Minidue, I have two inline filters affecting my drinking water. As I said, this has made a remarkable and very noticeable difference to the drinking water quality. I purchased these from a company on-line and brought a carbon and sediment filter from screwfix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back