Anybody doing it on roofs at the moment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did replace about six plain tiles,had to brush the snow off first,and i did have a scaffold.
Couldn't see it improving so i went for it,rope,batten nailed to scaff planks,ladder resting on tiles. You know the game.

Currently sorting scrap out and selling stuff on ebay :D

Sponsored Links
Just finished putting up a roof last week. Before any serious snow but still caught the low temperatures -8* rising to -3* on some days. :cry:
I took piccys so will some day post them, frosted snowy timbers and the like.

I saw a bloke building a igloo in Avonmouth today,it looked like he was collecting it on a pallet because the forklift was close.

My last job (finished Tuesday 21) was re-tiling a small hipped roof using plain clays and bonnets.

We hired a gas blower and made a kind of oven and stood all the hips and ridge in the oven to warm them.

Once laid with warm muck we made a cocoon out of insulation, hessian sacking and dust sheets to keep out the frost.

I have never known conditions like these since i started in the game at 15 yrs old.

Sponsored Links
My last job (finished Tuesday 21) was re-tiling a small hipped roof using plain clays and bonnets.

I have never known conditions like these since i started in the game at 15 yrs old.
That was after 1963 then ;)

I was doing some work for an old chap and asked who did the zinc work up there.He replied "i did that myself in the bad winter 62-63" He said he swept the snow off the scaff and roof and throw it in the garden.

Reccons the big pile of snow was still hanging on coming up to June!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back