anybody getting this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody getting tiger stripes in plaster? Do you no how to prevent them happening or no how to trowel them out?

Sponsored Links
I think this happens when people do not flatten or trowel down the first coat, apply the second coat and the uneven first coat starts to show through on the high points.

Leaving the first coat too long as well as too uneven can exacerbate this problem too.

Right so if the first coat is flattened off really well this should resolve ant stripes coming through?

Sponsored Links
Also (and would say a flat first coat is a must)

Sometimes the stuff itself doesn't help. You get nice batches and not so nice at times.

Try not overmixing, and not too much water spashed on. A sharp keen trowel edge helps avoid them too. Plastering in too cold conditions or too damp is no help.

A firm cross-trowel at the right time will help get rid of them .

I even had BG say that the water was 'too hard' on one job when we had one batchthat striped a lot but I think that was a load of the proverbial.

At what stage do you think a cross trowel is good. I do find what helps them a little is when it looses its greasyness and there's no water on the surface a cross trowel can help too. I find if you keep troweling them when its wet just makes it worse. How long do you leave it before you apply your second coat or at what firmness? Thanks for the help btw not many people know much about the stripes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back