Cost of plastering chase channels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my two bed house rewired and unfortunately the electrician wont be plastering the chases. Does anybody know how much I should be looking at paying to get them plastered. Id say there will be about 20-30 chases?

If anybody could answer this for me I would greatly appreciate it as I dont want to get ripped off. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The cost would vary on the region within the UK you live, there would also be the length of chases to consider and whether the chases are in solid walls of boarded walls, possibly a mixture of both. Boarded walls are likely to be more time consuming. But it would be a day rate job rather than price. A couple of bags of one coat and maybe a little primer should deal with solid walls, any boarded walls would then require some plasterboard, timber, drywall screws, repair tape and multi-finish.
Could end up being £50-£60 in materials and a couple of days work. Would expect labour cost would range between £80-£140 per day, depending on area and skill of person

Thankyou.

Im in the east midlands and the house is a 1950s build.

The walls are solid as I have already done some patch work from plaster coming of with wallpaper.

I would do it myself but im not feeling confident enough to do it really and just want it done and dusted.

Hoping about £200 no more than £300.

Thank you for your advice

If the plaster is coming of with the wallpaper, I am sorry to say you may need more than just cable chases to be looked at, sounds like the plaster is now of an age it is starting to fail.
Anyway best advice is try to get someone who has been recommended to you by someone that has had work done by them, if this not possible then get three independent quotes, ask if they can provide proof of there work and have any customer testimonials. Then make an informed decision from that, it is not a foolproof method but could be helpful on choosing someone how is capable of leaving you with a quality finish. Solid walls will be less time consuming than boarded walls, so should be able to complete in a day.
So including materials, your lower limit of £200 should be attainable.

Sponsored Links
I knocked away at all the loose spots on the plaster and have patched them up and sanded smooth.

Once the electrics are done and chases plastered in, I will be putting lining paper on the walls before painting so im not too worried about a perfect finish as I know you will always be able to see the chases in the right light if you paint straight over the plaster. Hopefully in the future I will consider having rooms completely re plastered as im on a budget what with having electrics done and new kitchen.

Thank you for stating your concern though and I will try and find a quote around £200

If you feel able to DIY it, it would not be too difficult, you do not need fantastic plastering skill to get the desired results.
Method I would you as a DIYer.
*Remove any loose and dusty plaster around chase.
*PVA prime/seal chased areas, leave to go tacky.
*Fill chase with bonding coat, and leave the chase slightly recessed about one mm.
*Leave to dry
*Slightly dampen down bonding on chase
*Use easifill compound to level chase and leave to dry.
*Sand down compound, so smooth level surface is acheived, using 180-220 grit paper.
*If chase is still slightly uneven, reapply compound and repeat drying and sanding process.

Bag of bonding about £9.00, bag of easifill £16, sandpaper £5, primer £5.
So £35 in materials and some of your time.

if you are lining-paper over, just fill the chase to slightly proud with plaster, let dry (several days) then sand flat and paper over.

Finishing plaster is not designed to plaster at depths of above 3mm and is also not designed for sanding, if one coat/universal plaster was to be used for the method above then fair enough, as one coat will deal with depths of 10mm and can be sanded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back