Anybody had an Isolator switch fitted between meter and C.U.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per thread title.
Has anybody either fitted, or had fitted an Isolator switch somewhere between the main supply fuse cut out and the consumer unit.

I'm pretty sure that I've read about it somewhere and that some new build houses even have them fitted as standard but when I phoned my supplier ( Atlantic Electric & Gas ) and Scottish Power, who apparently look after the actual hardware supply to my house, there seemed to be much confusion.

I originally phoned Scot Pwr to see how to go about booking the main fuse cut out at the supply head pulled and then re-fitted. If the respective customer service phone lines are anything to go by I could ened up being without Electricity for days by going down the legal route.

So how about a general conversation about what might be involved from those who have either done it , or know if it can be done.

This is something that i don't intend doing via DIY by the way, I'm just asking whislt i wait for somebody to get back to me from the supplier. I phoned after 5 p.m. and the relevant dept was closed for the day.

Sponsored Links
Phoning Utility companies usually ends up with you talking to the Mumbai Fobbing-Off Department (or sometimes the Perth or Drayton one).

If your question was not covered in their training, and is not in the book of scripts, the agent will not know what to do and may not take the correct action.

If phoning (once) doesn't work, send a short, businesslike letter to the address on your bill. Your supplier is responsible for knowing who to pass it on to. this may well be a different company (or a different part of the same behemoth, as Atlantic is part of SSE which includes the Hydro and some Network areas, and even parts of the Gas distribution grid). They may contract-out meter work and connections. Letters are tracked and passed along until they reach the right person. Proper Engineers exist but are not assigned to the call centre.

the actual job is extremely easy. if the company wants you to supply the isolator, instead of them providing one, I would suggest fitting the isolator and new Supply Side 25mm tails long enough to lead with ease into the meter in good time before the appointment. then the company person only has to fit the new tails into the meter and disconnect the old ones. You or your electrician (depending on skills and knowledge) can later fit the old tails from the CU into the Load side of the isolator (the company person will not do this, unless he is fitting a company isolator). It is vital to know how to work with a live isolator, and to test for dead, and of course to get polarity right. But as jobs go, a pretty simple one.

Have a look at your earthing arrangements too. If you have not already got a good company earth, ask them to fit one, and include it in the same appointment (especially if they are charging you for the visit). Provide a 16mm G&Y of ample length, as they like to seal your earthwire into their terminal these days, and your old cable may be undersized.

i had an isolator switch fitted by Western Power. Rang up one saturday, by following wednesday it was fitted, cost £30 + Vat.
can't complain really.

Had mine fitted by Scottish Power Manweb area free of charge after i requested it. The girl on the phone had to go away and ask what an isolator switch was.

Sponsored Links
The girl on the phone had to go away and ask what an isolator switch was.

Ditto :D

Between free and £30 is my kinda money for the facility that this will provide.

I've actually got two meters a high and a low one for Economy 7, not sure whether this will affect things.

the actual job is extremely easy. if the company wants you to supply the isolator, instead of them providing one, I would suggest fitting the isolator and new Supply Side 25mm tails long enough to lead with ease into the meter in good time before the appointment. then the company person only has to fit the new tails into the meter and disconnect the old ones. You or your electrician (depending on skills and knowledge) can later fit the old tails from the CU into the Load side of the isolator (the company person will not do this, unless he is fitting a company isolator). It is vital to know how to work with a live isolator, and to test for dead, and of course to get polarity right. But as jobs go, a pretty simple one.

Have a look at your earthing arrangements too. If you have not already got a good company earth, ask them to fit one, and include it in the same appointment (especially if they are charging you for the visit). Provide a 16mm G&Y of ample length, as they like to seal your earthwire into their terminal these days, and your old cable may be undersized.

I am hoping to get to talk with somebody who actually knows what they are doing , rather than a customer services person looking at a prompt screen , then we can discuss specific details of what I want , what they are going to do and what i need to do , or buy to enable them to do this.

I am a shift worker and have tomorrow off, so am allocating all of tomorrow to sort this out , I am hopefull that i might get something organised if i start calling at 9 a.m. ;)

I'm pretty sure that i have a TN-C-S connection at my service head as there is a G/Y earth wire coming out of the Neutral tail connector and going straight to the C.U. From memory all 3 incoming Tails E, L & N from service head to CU are 16mm and i have a 60 amp main fuse.
Just like this picture here from the wiki FAQ's:
electrics:earthing_supply_types_and_bonding:meter_pos_tncs.gif

on rework, upgrade to 25mm tails and 16mm G&Y.

You may get your fuseholder upgraded to a 100A one next time it is changed. If you get an electric shower one day you might need it.

16mm tails often have 10mm G&Y

on rework, upgrade to 25mm tails and 16mm G&Y.

You may get your fuseholder upgraded to a 100A one next time it is changed. If you get an electric shower one day you might need it.

16mm tails often have 10mm G&Y

Comments noted and written down ready for the phone calls.

I removed my electric shower 1 year ago when i gutted the shower room and now have a mains water one coming stright off my Combi Boiler. Whoever fitted the shower before i bought the house did fit 10mm T&E to supply it and even very thoughtfully added a piece of copper wire into the fuse holder to stop the shower fuse from blowing !

Had mine fitted by Scottish Power Manweb area free of charge after i requested it. The girl on the phone had to go away and ask what an isolator switch was.

And i'm sure it was a job well done ;)

Kwikfix get on to your supplier ASAP!

Had a meeting today and I was told certain jobs done by Scottish power were now going to be chargeable, one of the jobs was fit an isolator.

Other company's have been charging customers up to £60 for a isolator that scot power go and fit for free and as such they have now decided to start charging.

Ask for a 3pole isolator as you have a 2rate setup but don't worry to much as the fella/fellaess that turns up will fit what you need.

Yep was a good job got a 3-pole MEM isloator and enclosure new tails from service head to meter and from meter to isolator. Also had the Crabtree ELCB removed too.

Chap came to change my Pre pay card meter to a smart card meter but seeing as I had already changed to a normal non key meter I said while you are here would you mind fitting an isolator between the Main fuse and CU in exchange for a brew? Yes he said :LOL:

So it costs from £0 to 1 Cup of Coffee to £30 :D

streetlighter said:
The girl on the phone had to go away and ask what an isolator switch was.
Just count yourself lucky that you didn't get the bloke who has to go away and ask what a girl is.

Chap came to change my Pre pay card meter to a smart card meter but seeing as I had already changed to a normal non key meter I said while you are here would you mind fitting an isolator between the Main fuse and CU in exchange for a brew? Yes he said :LOL:

So it costs from £0 to 1 Cup of Coffee to £30 :D

Time depending of course ;)

And we've been told we can't do that now as it would be a chargable job :confused:

Oh well that was fairly painless. The guy from Atlantic E&G phoned back this morning as promised ( surprise, surprise ) . Told me that Scot Pwr need 15 days notice for this work, and he'd booked the earliest avail appt for me on 19th March in the morning - no charge !

Happy days.
I'll wait to see if a letter arrives prior to the appt date, there may be a direct contact number so I can call ref upgrading the Main 60 amp fuse, and upgrade the tails from 16mm to 25 mm at the same time.

Or do the guys doing this type of work carry this kind of stuff in their van anyway.

For best results ask for it to be added to the appointment.

The person who come may have no time/no suitable gear/no sympathy/instructions not to do anything but the job he's paid for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back