Anybody know what this likely is? porcelain pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Come across it as I was digging the last area of my conservatory footings.

Inside is dry and doesn't seem to have any water flow or signs of waste passing through. I did think its a soak away of some sort because of the roof guttering and where it comes down to ground as shown in photos but I don't know.

It's porcelain type material, I did think water works is usually plastic nowadays??

What are your thoughts guys?

It does possibly run through another small concrete

20211227_135304.jpg 20211227_135307.jpg 20211227_135320.jpg

And if its possibly important what's the best way to cover it so concrete doesn't go inside when I fill my trenches

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Just seems a bit big to be a gully for the down pipe... is it likely to be solely for my downpipe or will it come across from neighbouring properties?
Is there a simple way to repair it or will it just need a new section..

Dig it out then cut out the broken section and then use 2 fernco couplings with a piece of pipe .

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Is it likely to service other properties or would it typically just service my downpipe as I'm thinking if the latter I can just reroute the downpipe instead as theres separate draining around the corner leading to the front of the house

Don’t see much point fiddling with it . For what’s left i’d dig it out and fit a new gully and pipe section.

OP,
Why not post pics showing the rear elevation and the side wall elevation?
Pics will hopefully show guttering, manholes, gullies and down pipes.

I ask for the pics because you are working inside your conservatory footprint, & the thing to do is to eliminate the down pipe and existing gutter outlet, & renew the gutter falls to drain to the side elevation, well clear of the conservatory.
If you remove the down pipe etc. then be certain that the broken drain is going to a sump - if it is then it can become redundant.

FWIW: The blue MDPE water service pipe might be OK where it is or it might need moving to suit?
Before erecting the conservatory make sure that everything above the conservatory
is in tip top condition to save attempting future maintenance working over the conservatory.

C

And if its possibly important what's the best way to cover it so concrete doesn't go inside when I fill my trenches
Dig the pipe out further into the connie over-site, expose the end and divert the RWP into that temporarily, or else you will flood your trenches. You are then free to carry on digging and pouring the footings without the worry of rainwater flooding, before you pour.
Try and avoid too much material getting into the pipe. Pack some sponge or some such around the temporary RWP insertion. Once the conc' is poured then consider repairing or reinstating the rainwater. That pipe may go across another trench. Consider setting up your new rainwater drainage whilst you are at it. The existing rainwater soakaway may have run its course and could be time for a new one although that existing pipe looks reassuringly clear.
That ground looks crap and needs excavating to decent ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back