What to backfill with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve recently had to dig out next to my house because there were holes within the mortar letting water into the sub floor of the house. I’ve now re-pointed all the brickwork but was wandering what to put back into the trench I’ve dug? Hopefully the picture I’ve attached shows what I’ve done.
It was originally a mixture of soil and heavy clay, and the footings are sat on heavy clay. Would it be best to put in stone instead of the old clay/soil?

Also is it ok for ground water to be sat on the clay next to the house brickwork/footings, as it’s a very dense clay area the ground water doesn’t appear to soak away, it just sits at the base of the trench.

Attachments

• 54868727-CB03-4B5D-99DF-24074BD25A94.jpeg
    54868727-CB03-4B5D-99DF-24074BD25A94.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
Now you've gone to the trouble of digging out, can you not install a drain?

Yes I was also thinking that, but because my trench is lower than all my rainwater drainage I’d have to extend the trench into my back garden to then direct the drained water there, and because everything is heavy clay the water still wouldn’t go anywhere, and I’ve read it pointless putting a soak away in a heavy clay area. But I suppose it’s better sat in the garden than against my house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back