Anyone bought from Downlights Direct?

Sponsored Links
I would like some one to explain what fire rated is? I would assume in the case of fire it would continue to work for a rated time for description but quite sure that is not the case.

More likely it is designed to block the hole made for it for the same time as the original plaster did however the fact that you have made a hole in the plaster thus weakening the board this is also unlikely.

I would think where a ceiling floor is designed to resist fire for a set time any changes to the structure would need approving by some one looking at the whole structure not just a part of the structure so the most likely is these lamps can be used within a fire resisting design.

The problem with any light used in a very hot place is some cooling has to be provided. Clearly with a fire rated lamp this heat can not be radiated from the back of the lamp but has to be radiated from the front of the lamp.

So the bulb has to be surrounded by conducting material to transmit the heat to the front of the lamp and the front will need a large surface area to radiate this heat from. Or include some cooling fan.

Unfortunately when one does this the lamps become some what ugly and also there is no room left to allow the lamp to be angled so they shine directly at a light absorbing floor rather than bouncing the light off a light reflecting wall or ceiling. In a house about the only place where there is enough room below the lamp to get a reasonable spread is above the stairs.

Angle is 40 degrees and in the main you will want light at around a meter from the floor so around 1.5 meters max from lamp to area requiring lighting with a lamp at around 1.5 meters gap even that will leave some corners unlit. To fit so many lights into a room will mean there will be no need for central heating and with a limit of 6A for most lighting circuits it will also mean some form of relay will be needed to take the load.

To fit GU10 lamps in pods which can be angled to either light a special area of bounce the light off white walls or ceiling makes some sense but there are so few places where a light fixed to point down can be used that I can't see why outlets even stock these items they have so little use.

I can only assume that a fire rated lamp is used to prevent fire spreading to the space above.

I will have the downlighters lighting the worktops and three pendant lights in the middle of the room over an island. I know the arguments against downlighters but most of the time it comes down to asthetics and what you like.

I just want opinions on the company and their products.

Not sure why you want to know about Downlights Direct since they do not make these lamps.

They are made by Ansell and I have fitted both the IP65 iCage and these fire rated models without any problems.

I used flood beam 120degree led bulbs.

Sponsored Links
My original question was about the lamps in the link i.e. their basic lamp.
I then went on to say they also do the icage range, best price i've found on the net.

Thanks for the replies.

Also any advice on makes of led lamp to avoid?

I've looked at Megaman 6w and Amitex which seem reasonably priced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back