1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone built their own shed?

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by d000hg, 15 May 2020.

1. d000hg

d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We are going to need to replace our old hen-coop soonish and prefer the idea of something you can walk into so were reckoning a shed is a good starting point.
    But all the sheds I've seen are either really shoddy and flimsy, or incredibly expensive.

If one was to build one, or get a handyman to, how would it likely compare in cost and quality? Is it basically like building a studwork frame with lap fencing on the outside... for someone with useful skills (possibly not me) is it a hard job?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    to make your own choose the design and make up you like about 30% more for same materials if you make it yourself

4. martin hill

martin hill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi There

It is quite straight forward if you plan it right and have the right tools. Built a 8 x 4.5 shed myself. Cost me 600 quid but it solid as a rock. The good thing about building yourself is that it is designed and tailored to your exact needs.

First sit down and decide what you need it to be AND LOOK LIKE

Size.
    Shape.
    Access .
    ease of cleaning.
    Cladding type.

Youtube and google will give some good ideas. Once you have done that you will have to do a list of materials you'll need. Then start shopping around for the best price and quality. Check out local builder/timber merchants for prices. Some will give you a good deal for cash payment but in the climate at the mo be careful as some delivery times are quite long.

• Like Like x 1
  5. We are just looking at doing this ourselves too - have looked around like Martin Hill says. Found a local fencing place sells the cladding a 3rd cheaper than wickes/B&Q.

6. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I built one 20 years ago on my previous home.
    I used 4x2 treated for the frame and osb3 for sheeting.
    I insulated the inside with rockwool and covered with 12mm plywood.
    It was built on a concrete base nicelysloped so water would never sit under the shed.
    When i left it was still in mint conditions.
    Looking back, 4x2 is a bit overkill for a shed.
    If it was to be used as a workshop then, yes.
    3x2 is plenty enough.
    Make sure you brace the corners and the roof with metal straps.
    Another suggestion is to rent a first fix nailgun if you haven't got one.
    And after nailing, use a few stainless steel screws to supersecure the wood.

7. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    if you like the look, you can clad in featheredge. But fix it horizontally (thick edge out), then it will shed rain better, and only the bottom board will rot (fix it with screws and make a few spares). It is not weatherproof so if you want a dry shed, add a breathable roofing membrane to the studs before fixing the cladding, and preferably line the inside with ply or something. You can insulate between the inner and outer if you want. Ply is good for screwing things to, and you will be able to see where the studs are, for heavier objects. It will also hold the structure more rigid.

I clad the outside of mine with 18mm ply because I had some, but might overclad the visible end with shiplap for appearance. You have to take great care to protect all edges of ply from damp or wet.

Screws are dearer than nails, but using a hammer on a partially-built wooden shed will knock it about.

Stables line the bottom half of the inside walls with thick ply or OSB to resist kicking damage (and sacrificially, against urine rot). It would also work if people are liable to chuck spades and lawnmowers inside carelessly.

The floor will be damp unless you incorporate a DPM.

If you want it to last, isolate the wooden legs from the ground on concrete pads, with metal feet bolted or cast in. These should be inside the footprint of the cladding to preven them getting wet with rain.

Look at the price of fenceposts and of decking boards, which may be convenient to build the frame, and are usually pre-treated.

Remember gutters and downpipes to help protect the sides from water run-off

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links