anyone done plumbing / gas work in canada?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering of any of us here had any work experience from canada, hoping to emigrate over the next couple of years and was just wondering where I might stand jobs wise ie oil or gas usage, status etc. Thinking initially of british columbia if that helps.

Sponsored Links
no working experience but have heard of people goin gthat couldnt afford to come back, all singing all dancing on way out thinking currency and how much more they will have, shame it all gets spent as it does here, coz when you wanna come back what you have, might not buy you a pot to pee in.

moral of the story, if you go dont think your rich you need to bank what you can coz one day you might wanna come back home.

already not got a pot to pee in :D . I don't want to be rich and I don't want to come back....why on earth would you?. All I want is a house big enough to swing a cat for return of half our salaries for the rest of our working lives which I can't get here, a nice big garden for kids to play in which I can't get here and good prospects and futures for my family and a good quality of life. This country is apparantly in boom time yet a large proportion of customers I see every day are basing their future plans on emigration, no spark for me here I'm afraid. :cry:

well i suppose theres the added benefit of feeding the wife to the bears, i recon go for it but have eyes open wide as it may not be quite what is expected, thats all. you wont be the first to opt out of uk and wont be the last even im sick of the uk but havent dismissed leaving and returning and what impact it may have.

good luck and watch out for the gays as you know a mounty always gets hes man :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
ollski one of the local BG lads got the chance to go to canada for a snoop around paid for by centrica. he was put out with a few engineers over there.

he said the appliances are antiquated by comparison to here and the lads were far less professional....didnt bother with uniforms and such. the wages and benefits were far less appealing as well he reckoned.

he said it wasnt his cup of tea but could see how it would be ok if you loved the lifestyle.

this country is teetering on hell and handbasket for me. im toying with jacking it in for aussie myself. its a big push though and im still not sure its for me. if certain things happen in the future i may be more inclined to go for it though.

I got hassled by locals to do work in Stewart Island while on hol - they can't get plumbers!
If I was younger with kids, Australia would appeal, out of the 50 odd countries I've been to.

There is some appeal to oz but just to far from any ski resorts for me, plus at the rate nurses are leaving the hospital my wife works at to go over there I would imagine the country will soon be full to bursting. The pay does seem to be low compared to here for the gas profession I was wondering if it was the same for being employed for a national...swings and roundabouts though.....my wifes salary would double and it would still get us a detached 6 bedroom mansion with pool!

tbh aussie gas wages are probably as bad as canada's. if your wife is a nurse you are laughing mate...pretty jealous of that....ill have to get the breadknife to retrain :D

another BG lad took his wife and kids and walked right into a job in oz. he has no complaints and with the proceeds of his fairly crappy ex council house he is in a really decent 4 bed house in a nice area with a small pool.

the cost of living is less and if you managed to get a nice house in oz/canada and be virtually mortgage free i think it would be a winner. i worked out i could have double the house for half my mortgage in oz.

like i say a few things need to go wrong here before i really gave it thought. if they happen i might feel i have little choice but to go :D

Ollski, I go to Canada once or twice every year and if had the chance would live there tomorrow :cry:

On one visit I arranged a guided tour of a manufacturers plant making catering equipment that I work on here, on showing my knowledge of their appliances old and new they offered me a position should I choose to emigrate, sadly my wife was having none of it.

As one other post has said, a lot of the domestic appliances are quite dated, but hey a lot easier to work with. monies wise from the asking of local gas engineers in the bars, a little more than here, but bear in mind the cost of living which is equivalent to ours, then add insurances and such!.

Still if the wife changes her mind Im gone ;)

ollski said:
Just wondering of any of us here had any work experience from canada, hoping to emigrate over the next couple of years and was just wondering where I might stand jobs wise ie oil or gas usage, status etc. Thinking initially of british columbia if that helps.

Try asking here, a US-based site but many Canadian contributors;
http://forums.invision.net/index.cfm?CFApp=2

If a bear attacks you, climb a tree.
If it climbs the tree and then eats you, it's a black bear.
If it pushes the tree over and then eats you, it's a grizzly.

Then again, I'd feel safer with the bears than with some of the animals here. No one complains if you go suitably equipped and slot the odd bear.

Hi

If you are interested try here... http://britishexpats.com/forum/

Get chatting and you will get all the info you need, maybe even an invite to visit and see for yourself how good or bad it may be.

Wherever you go always visit the country first for at least 3 weeks.

We went to Vancouver for a week this Christmas and liked it.We will consider moving there in a couple of years or so.(ACS expires then!!)
Wife is Canadian so I will have no problem.
Cannot decide on a tipping point where I will give UK (or UcK) two fingers.!!!
Good luck
PS Did a month in New Zealand...no way would I move there!!! Think plumbing in the '70.s here.

Thanet.

Worked for a Canadian lady living in UK. She said it was cold, -40 or something daft like that. Enough to put me off.

No skliing in Oz? you Joking?? Heard of Snowy Mountains?

Weather in Canada is extreme, or dismal. No thanks. And it's run by frogs.

Sponsored Links
Back