Anyone else fell out with their neighbour?

Alison, just a point of interest regarding claiming off your neighbours insurance.
You notify your insurance, they assess the damage and conclude how it happened then claim the money back off the the other persons insurance. If the other person is not insured they claim off the person, if they have no means of paying that is the insurance companys problem not yours. A water damaged ceiling is obviously caused by an upstairs source so I can't see any way that her BIL could concoct a story to stop you claiming.
Sorry, but I think you have been taken for a ride on this one.

Sponsored Links
Alison, just a point of interest regarding claiming off your neighbours insurance.
You notify your insurance, they assess the damage and conclude how it happened then claim the money back off the the other persons insurance. If the other person is not insured they claim off the person, if they have no means of paying that is the insurance companys problem not yours. A water damaged ceiling is obviously caused by an upstairs source so I can't see any way that her BIL could concoct a story to stop you claiming.
Sorry, but I think you have been taken for a ride on this one.

I'll second that! Mother in law in exactly the same situation as Alison claimed off her own insurance who claimed of her upstairs neighbours insurance.

PS Given your location Alison, your not my M in L are you? ;)

PS Given your location Alison, your not my M in L are you? ;)

I don't think so....................I don't remember having a child that grew up and got married, but hey, I'm kinda forgetful, so who knows!! ;) ;)

First time I got flooded, I went through my insurance, who claimed off her insurance. She told them that the pipe that had leaked was concealed inside a wall and therefore it was impossible for her to know that it was leaking - she also said that it was a badly done joint in the pipe from the previous house owner.

Mightily strange that in all the years the previous owner was there we never had a problem but she bought the house, moved the boiler and suddenly there was a leak! So, her insurance refused to pay out, my insurance did the work and my premium more than doubled. Oh yeah, and even though I got an independant builder to state that the wall in question was solid brick and there was no way that pipes could be running internally, they wouldn't listen.

The second time she flooded us, I phoned my insurance, but wasn't sure if it was buildings or contents (two different insurers but that's sorted now). Phoned both of them, both of them asked what happened, told them neighbours version of events and was told that if she put that down as what happened, it would be deemed as accidental, not her fault and her insurers wouldn't pay out.

I didn't want my premiums up again by having another claim on my insurance, so I just sorted out the work myself.

I'm not surprised that you fell out with your neighbour.
He seems to have added a ghastly false-looking bay window that looks out of place.

Sponsored Links

I'm not surprised that you fell out with your neighbour. He seems to have added a ghastly false-looking bay window that looks out of place.

rofl5.gif

landing strips :D ooh alison you naughty girl where's matron?

If it was your neighbour who flooded you then they are responsible for the cost of the repair even if they claim it was an accident they own the property and are therefore responsible for any damage done by their plumbing to your property.

If you are insured and the claim is a direct result of someone else's property causing damage to yours regardless of cause the insurance company should be chasing them. If they are not then you need a lawyer.

I've gone to the different insurance company! My previous insurers just couldn't be bothered. Despite me doing a pile of the donkey work getting written quotations, proof that she was telling porkies, etc etc etc, when it came down to it, they just settled my claim off my policy, didn't bother chasing hers up and then hiked my premium up.

Of course, the worst thing about it all is ignorance - my ignorance. I'd never had to claim off the insurance before, so I just accepted what they said.

Lets hope I don't have to ever claim again. Mind you, if the situation arose again, I probably wouldn't be able to claim cos I'd be in jail for attempted murder cos I swear I'll kill the dozy woman if she floods me again.

Don't forget to take video or photographic evidence of the flooding next time

May I suggest you just get over it and cut the little strip of grass, hardly the end of the world, just wish thats all had to worry about

Sponsored Links
Back