anyone else think i might need a new cold water tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Managed to get into the loft for the first time today of our first house (only had keys 2 days!). I was expecting some great vat of water but instead found this rusting old thing!

Glad we overbudgeted for the rest of the work so I have some left for a new tank now.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yev peed in worse you mean
lol-022.gif

i refute the allegation sir, of p issing in tanks..............................

rifling through knicker drawers, i will take the 5th ammendment ;)

YES,change a.s.a.p

p.s dont connect the exhuast pipe to it. :eek:

lol yeah i have no idea why they put that up there!

I think its only a 25gallon tank. How complicated is it to replace with a 50gal or larger? The tanks are on screwfix and the like so getting one is easy enough, and thats small enough to go down the loft hatch without meeting an angle grinder which is handy.

don't know loft hatch size,but you could get two cisterns that fit through hatch,and combine them.

make sure it has good support and cistern on load bearing wall.

Off the top of my head i cant remember the size but several of the tanks on screwfix will definately go through the hatch as they are under 500mm on two sides.

some more pics for your perusal

That chimney isnt the proper one, it is just the remnant of the coal boiler the house had when built. The hole in the roof has been filled but to be honest it looked a little unstable to my very untrained eye.

The water tank is currently resting on some beams that are themselves resting on the airing cupboard walls (all brick). Would i be better placed having the tank against the party wall? The wall seperating the living/dining and bedrooms 1/2 is directly under the tank running from the small chimney to the party wall.

In an ideal world i'd like to remove that chimney from the loft too (i know, wrong section!)

YES,change a.s.a.p

p.s dont connect the exhuast pipe to it. :eek:

lol yeah i have no idea why they put that up there!

I think its only a 25gallon tank. How complicated is it to replace with a 50gal or larger? The tanks are on screwfix and the like so getting one is easy enough, and thats small enough to go down the loft hatch without meeting an angle grinder which is handy.
Coffin Tank :idea:

Raising the cold storage as high as possible can improve the gravity hot water pressure available, and may increase your choice of brassware for kitchen and bathroom re-fits in the future.

Make sure, if replacing with a plastic one, it must be sitting on 1 inch ply (NOT chipboard) that extends beyond base of tank otherwise you will be sorry - very sorry.

I have a man coming in on Thursday to replace the tank and move the CH tank off of that stack. Hurrah!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back