anyone ever got 30A terminal block into a 25mm enclosure?

• Thread starter nrgizerbunny
  • Start date
N

nrgizerbunny

pretty much as the subject really. as my previous thread, i want to extend the ring main. Local spark wants to replace the original 2gang socket with 2 single gang sockets (right next to each other) and then extend the ring main in between them.

I asked him if he could do it with a terminal block in behind the socket and he said "nah mate, its impossible to do that". I was just trying to see if he was trying to pull a fast one or not as he wanted £450 for the work :eek: which i thought was excessive, considering i have installed the new enclosures and conduit for him. :eek:

Sponsored Links
It sounds excessive, unless he is doing an all day inspection report at the same time, particulary if you have done all the drilling and filling already.

However, it is ONLY JUST possible to get the large choc-bloc style joins in behind a blanking plate, in a 25mm box, but its not nice, and behind a socket with all that other wiring in there, I'd not think so with a normal socket. Crimps would be easier but still tight. Why do you need the joint though - surely the two sockets provide the terminals you need ?
what have I missed?

crikey that has to be the fastest reply i've ever seen :D

at the moment the feeder socket i'll call it, is already attached to the ring main. its got 2 wires coming coming into it. he wants to swap that socket for 2 single sockets and do the ring extension in between them.

if the feeder socket was left on the wall, it would still require a join in the cable behind the socket, if i could get away with choc bloc /crimps then i wouldn't have to destroy my wall by putting in a double accessory enclosure.

hope that makes sense.

No access to under the floor and tube from the original socket to below?? One JB under the floor - jobs a gooden.

Failing that, then crimps are the best bet - could even change the 25 for 35 or even a 47mm box.

Hod do they new cables enter the existing S/O??

Sponsored Links
I think he is extending the ring from behind a socket already on the ring.

So you would need to join the cores of one of the old 2.5's to the cores of one of the new 2.5's behind the socket. the cores from the other old 2.5's and the cores from the other new 2.5's would be terminated to the socket...

Sparky says not enough room, and wants to fit two single sockets adjacent, each with an old ring leg, and a new ring leg......

Thats how I read it. Either way not ideal.

Don't see what's wrong with the 2 single sockets plan.

And widening the hole slightly to get a dual box in is hardly "destroying" it.

Mind you - this problem arises so often you'd think there'd be a market for twin sockets with two independent sets of terminals on the back. You might need a deeper box, but you'd be able to do a proper ring extension wihout crimps/JBs/choc/cable replacement...

Very true - crimps are the way to go - who ever says do not crimp solid cores.......Manufacturer pirelli say no probs......good enough for me.

Two single adjacent looks odd....

Laugh............

Had a great idea a little while a go - new double socket required in a corner of a room - huge notice board too close to chop in a double dry liner.

Sent one of my lads there with two single sockets and a dual dry liner :oops:

Dual dry liners dont have lugs on all four sides - dur!

Luckily, my lad had the brains to realise my error, and fit two single dry liner on top of each other (lucky we keep stock in the van!)

whats the problem with simply mounting a double socket vertically.

i'd have thought two singles right above each other would cause issues with the flex from the top socket unless you mounted them different ways round anyway.

:confused:

Yea, probably would have - was a quick last minute desision.

I don't think I would ever fit a S/O any way other that the right way up. Looks wrong and very unprofessional.

My lad actually fitted the two sockets a socket distance apart, which is what we always ask our lads to do with most jobs - on plasterboard, the plasterboard stays sound, and with wet rendered walls, the plasterer has some 'land' to plaster well.

Lectrician said:
I think he is extending the ring from behind a socket already on the ring.

So you would need to join the cores of one of the old 2.5's to the cores of one of the new 2.5's behind the socket. the cores from the other old 2.5's and the cores from the other new 2.5's would be terminated to the socket...

Sparky says not enough room, and wants to fit two single sockets adjacent, each with an old ring leg, and a new ring leg......

Thats how I read it. Either way not ideal.

this is exactly what i meant, but couldn't word it all the brilliantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back