Anyone ever painted over Dow Corning 791 Weatherproofing sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am having this put on the outside of the house-my tradesman who is doing it has started painting over it after he puts it on advising it's a good silicone and can be painted without issue. Anyone ever done this? Have checked the tubes and online and can't see anything saying you can or can't paint it..

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks folks - I told him to stop doing it after a couple windows. Will be interesting to see how both match up over the coming years.

Sponsored Links
You can splodge paint on silicone although it's like trying to paint teflon, but it tends to crack and peel afterwards.

but 791 is neutral cure and doesn't dry to a hard shiny surface like acetoxy silicones many can be painted over

Learning all the time. (y)
but note not all, if the paint takes well then it should be fine long term. I have just 791'd around some windows which need touching up, so will answer the question definitively later

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back