Anyone Failed Part P For Colour Blindness?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Signed up at my local college for defined Part P, paid my £600 , no mention of any sight tests.
So, reserved best part of a week to attend college (more money lost!).
Half way through first day, had a colour blindness test, told I am partially colour blind. Turned up for second day and sent home, course fee refunded.
So, a week's work lost and no Part P.
Is this common, has anyone else suffered the same fate? Is there a way round it? Was my college being overly pedantic?
Before anyone points out, I have no difficulty with standard wiring (red/brown, blue?black or yellow). Its the wiring for heating systems (5 core) that was the problem, although I don't work on this type of wiring.
Now its either a choice of giving up work, or carrying on illegally - have to take my chances I suppose! Haven't had any problems up to now.

Sponsored Links
Its the wiring for heating systems (5 core) that was the problem, although I don't work on this type of wiring.

I'm not allowed to install it as I don't have part P. Sparks I know with part P know FA about it. What a brilliant system. :rolleyes:

Im sorry abot your colour blindness.
its a basic criteria for workng as an electrician and they should have tested you prior. :eek:

Agree with oilman, there is nothing worse than turning up at a heating system a spark has attempted to repair . Wires taken out and stuck elsewhere, components bridged out etc etc. Iwish they would put it all back how it was before leaving and saying you better get a heating guy. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Its a basic criteria for workng as an electrician and they should have tested you prior. :eek:

A) I'm not an electrician, I'm a plumber by trade, but now install stairlifts, and disabled access baths etc.

B) Until recently, I was legally carrying out minor electrical work concerned with plumbing and my current occupation. Its the law that changed, not my ability, competence or eye sight.

As I have already stated, I have no problem identifying standard household wiring colours.

Its a basic criteria for workng as an electrician and they should have tested you prior. :eek:

A) I'm not an electrician, I'm a plumber by trade, but now install stairlifts, and disabled access baths etc.

B) Until recently, I was legally carrying out minor electrical work concerned with plumbing and my current occupation. Its the law that changed, not my ability, competence or eye sight.

As I have already stated, I have no problem identifying standard household wiring colours.

sorry thats the way it is, its a bit like working on gas and having no sense of smell :(

do you work for a company or are you self employed?

If you work for a company then there will be quite strict laws about how your bosses can treat you because of your "disability". If you could no longer do the job they would have to make a substantial effort to help you. If it is causing you problems drop in on a citizens advice bureau

ps. Im colour blind too; it's actually quite common- about 5% of men.

Unfortunately I'm self employed.

If its a big job, I get a spark to do it. Small jobs, I take the risk.

Although I know what I'm doing, with over 20 years experience, it seems you have to have a cert. to scratch your arris these days!

C'est la vie!

about all some of these certs are bloody useful for !! i have many certs and skills etc you have to nowadays. but there are many out there with these certs and are bluntly bloody useless !!! good old common sense is the best hey !!!

after practising for 16 yrs, in mamny fields of electrics plumbing electronics mechanics the list goes on |!!! i now am faced with going to college so that they can tell me that i can fit a socket in a bathroom !!

wat eva next !! theres is more to it i realise but i am considering being a male pro no paperwork job satisafaction and only o levels are reqd lmao

I am a marine elecky these days and since touching 40 we have to have a medical every 2 years,a elecky has to see numbers in a circle with dots,and tell the doc the number and colour,its procedure.
As for certs ,yes i do agree in cases they are over the top but if they protect our trade from cowboys then so be it.What i cant understand is why in many cases ive have served a elecky apprenticeship for 4 years (many years ago)why these courses are so expensive to us time served lads.Maybe the union should give us grants,we have supported them over the years,what do you lads/lasses think?????

unfortunately, doing something for many years doesn't mean you're any good at it :(

Ask any married woman :D

What worries me is that you can apparently become colourblind.

That'd be my livelyhood gone then. Anybody ever had a part p scheme assesor say anything about it?

Sponsored Links
Back