part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is an electrician who lives near my mum, who everyone likes to use. He has had a little shop for donkeys years and also does domestic wiring. He has genuine cheap prices for pensioners, has been known to come out on xmas day for an emergency, is always polite, clean and tidy, does a good job, etc. etc.

My mum phoned him last week because her main rcd keeps tripping when the shower is switched on. He said he can no longer do this kind of work because he would need to go back to college and pay £000's in fees. I presume this is because of part p. He is not going to do this as he is in his mid 60's and it doesn't seem worth it to him.

Seems like a shame to me, there can't be much he doesn't know about house wiring.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure this guy is solid gold but do you know how good he is?
Does he possess the necessary test equipment to ensure an installation is safe.
If he has been in the trade since the 50's then has he kept up with the current regs. The road to ruin is paved with good intentions.
This is no different from medicine where an old family practitioner is unaware that he is prescribing something which has been found to have harmful side effects.

We all need to be upto date and regularly tested. Lives depend upon it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back