Part P and Consumer

Sponsored Links
The NICEIC's stance is straightforward; you can issue certificates with their logo if you have been assessed by them as acceptably competent to do so. This applies as much to ACs as to DIs, but in the case of a DI the standard assessment only includes installation, so an additional assessment is required to establish competence to inspect and report.

I agree that to us the NIC's stance is straight forward but this post is titled "Part P and consumer" and IMO, from their point of view the NIC's current "grading" is far from straight forward.

And now that the NIC has changed from a charity to a company I also agree with BAS....

Kerr-ching!

a neon screwdriver is a good safety item to own..

you prove the circuit dead with a volt meter, but use the neon to do the screws.. it lights up if some idiot turns it back on.. with insulated screwdrivers you don't know..

Sponsored Links
Cruelty to ponds act 1625.
Goto police station and find the nearest amnesty bin

neonamnesty.jpg

so you'd rather assume that the piece of tape you put over a domestic breaker is going to stop an 8 year old who's mad that his gaming console and tv are off because you're changing some socket fronts in the living room?

I've had it done to me.. flash bang, missing the end off a screwdriver..

and yes i did test when I took the front off, he turned it on sometime in the middle of fitting the new one..

I don't have any breaker lock offs, been trying to find somewhere that sells em for years..

domestic boards don't have padlock holes for the covers..

he ignored the tape over the breaker and the sign taped to the wall and turned it on anyway...

It would have been a much better step if NICEIC had not decided to start registering people who don't have enough experience.

By all means have a system which allows people to get started, and become "improvers", and by all means for the domestic installation market strip away the unnecessary parts of the traditional full-C&G+long-apprenticeship route, but don't create a system which presents someone who's got a fairly basic qualification and no real experience as a professional who is fully accredited by a trade body.
And here's an example of what I mean: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=117303

No offence meant to Tom, and I hope none is taken - he seems conscientious about learning and asking advice, and is aware of his limited experience, but as he says, he's never taken flooring up.

Fro a general POV, and nothing to do with Tom personally, is it right that NICEIC etc can label someone who's never taken flooring up as a fully qualified/competent electrician? How happy will his customers be when he starts practising on theirs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back