consumer unit,what should I expect from spark?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have a spark coming to check out my old consumer unit (it has 4 old fuses ,cooker,sockets and 2 lights) . I am in the very slow process of a loft conversion,(sourcing here and there) and know I will need a new consumer unit,and another one fittted later for the loft.

Is there anything I can expect from the guy ( as I will be dumb where electrics are involved), does he need to be part P, does he have to sign the job off,do building regs need to be informed( I know they do ,regarding the loft conversion but if the guy is part P and certifies things ,do I still need to inform them?)
Hes a lad who works for a local electrical company who are called in to do electrical jobs where I work now and again, but is doing this on his own time,would this affect anything,I know it may seem dumb to ask,but im asking anyway?!
All info apreciated chaps,thanks.

Sponsored Links
A new consumer unit is a notifiable activity to your LABC under part P of the building regs, hence if he is a member of a competent person scheme he can notify via his scheme. If he is not a member then to remain within the law you will need to inform your LABC in advance and pay thier fee so they can oversee compliance with the building regs.
From the IEE regs point of view, you should recieve an Electrical installation certificate for the replacement CU.
New circuits are also a notifiable activity hence the loft CU etc will also need to be nofitied, also should get an EIC.

He must be competent, he will need adequate test equipment, he will need to complete an Electrical Installation Certificate, the work is notifiable under Part P of the building regulations. If he is not able to self certify his work, then Local Area Building Control must be informed BEFORE work commences.
You might ask him if he is doing the work to the 16th edition or the 17th edition of BS7671.

Thanks gents,
will ask him as you suggested,but what should the right answer be to the 16th or 17th edition,if any or both !!? :oops: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Either one is the right answer now, and will be until July 1st. Unless you've got a particular need or desire to do things allowed in the 17th but not the 16th you'd probably be better off with the 16th.

As for notification, as said above if he can self certify then this is not an issue, if he can't but you still want to use him because he's recommended, or you know he's good, then also as said above LABC will need to be notified in advance. If he's moonlighting then the chances are that he won't be able to self-certify the work as it is probably his employer who is registered, not him personally. Or maybe not even that if all they do is commercial/industrial work.

But loft conversions are notifiable anyway, so LABC are involved anyway, and so must, if asked, add the electrics into the things they check, but at no extra cost to you (unless the value of the electrical work pushes the total build cost into the next tier). They cannot make you arrange your own certification, or pay them extra to subcontract it.

Many LABCs are happy to accept electrical certificates from qualified, competent electricians who aren't registered, so maybe yours will, but there would still be a fee for notifying work that's not part of the loft conversion.

hello mate i think before an old board is changed a full periodic should be carried out before hand

thanks for all the info gents,
I think he is moonlighting and I do think they only do industrial work but will check. The LABC have my plans and have been here recently ,shall I ask them what the best option is after/before the spark comes to check so mabye Il know which way they would prefer to go?
I guess a full periodic means testing that my house wiring is up to scratch?
it is grey sheathed if that means anything!?? :rolleyes:
ta again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back