Can You Train For Part P If Red/Green Colour Blind?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all, I am new to this site.

I have been offered a new plumbing job. The boss knows I don't have Part P, and says he will pay for me to take the course.

One thing I haven't mentioned to him is I am slightly colour blind. I seem to remember someone saying that they test your colour vision for the exam. Is this true? Does anyone else on here have dodgy colour vision, but has managed to pass Part P?

Sponsored Links
red / green used to be an issue when earth was solid green and live was red..
since there's still many old installs out there with red lives and possibly still a few with solid green earths, then it might still be an issue..

you can but ask..

My doctor tells me that I am about as colourblind as he has ever seen and am registered as an electrician and have no problems at all with domestic wiring. Not even when wiring motorised valves on heating systems, so I wouldn't worry too much...

When doing my Apprenticeship we had to take a colour blindness test before starting. Somehow one person got on to the Apprenticeship scheme and subsequently failed a colour blindness test and was not allowed to continue.

Sponsored Links
But when was that Risteard? And where did you do the apprenticeship? (Ireland?)

We had to undergo colour blindness tests back in '93, if anyone failed they could not get a start in training to be a sparks. Afaik this is still the case, sparks in industry come across a lot more colour combinations than domestic tho.

I'd never had a colour-blindness test until I'd been in the industry for about 20 years.............. :eek:

I was ok though

But when was that Risteard? And where did you do the apprenticeship? (Ireland?)

A number of years ago now. But it was under preharmonised colours if that's what you're getting at.

The Apprenticeship was done in the north of Ireland, so BS7671 was and is in force.

One thing I haven't mentioned to him is I am slightly colour blind. I seem to remember someone saying that they test your colour vision for the exam. Is this true?

No, they don't test your colour vision in any of the associated exams.
The online building regulations exam is black & white as are the other 8 written exams so your vision won't affect your ability to complete those either.

Some training colleges test you for colour blindness before letting you start the course. I think you are allowed to get about 2 out of 9 wrong and they give you a second chance if you get 2 wrong ie see if you can spot your mistake.

Some training colleges test you for colour blindness before letting you start the course. I think you are allowed to get about 2 out of 9 wrong and they give you a second chance if you get 2 wrong ie see if you can spot your mistake.

We had to have the application form for the Apprenticeship endorsed by a doctor saying that there were no colour vision deficiencies (having conducted the test).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back