Anyone from Crown paints on forum?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some Crown paint mixed today at my local hardware shop & it required a pale base. The colour was Whisper of Egyptian Sand. When the guy looked for the 5 litre 'pale base' in silk emulsion they didn't have any so he was instructed to use the 5 litres of white emulsion instead & I was told this would be exactly the same. After stirring the paint at home & applying it to one wall, it has come up like a pale yellow rather than a light sand colour. I know the paint charts are only a rough guide to the colour but I just wonder if the pale base paint that should have been used would have been brilliant white? When I queried this at the store, I was assured it would make no difference to the colour. Can anyone advise me about this base colour. thanks

Sponsored Links
If you could use ordinary white emulsion they wouldn't manufacture a pale base. They're taking the **** and you need to go and kick some butt!!

this really has confirmed exactly what I thought. I will go back there tomorrow. I had reason to complain about a year ago in this shop about some paint that had obviously been stored in wrong conditions & I am not certainly 'flavour of the month' in there. This aside, I expect my request to mix any paint to be done in a proper manner. Will see what they say when I go back

Sponsored Links
just an update. I rang Crown paint today & they were absolutely appalled to hear the store had used white emulsion to mix my paint. They said they had breached the conditions of their mixing system. I returned the paint to the store for a refund & the guy although 'ok' he said Crown reps had said that white could be substituted for the pale base. he then said it would have made no differenc whatsoever to the colour if the correct base had been used!!! I then told him I had spoken to Crown & told him they were none too happy. My refund was then given. This isn't the first time this shop in my village has let me down so needless to say, I will be staying well away from this shop in the future. thanks for posting your replies

Grrr, :evil:

I wonder how many other people have got home and been disappointed with the colour, not knowing they've had the same thing done to them!

I wonder if they would use black if they'd run out of dark base!! :rolleyes:

I use brewers and despite being a bit pricey the guys are helpful and friendly and there's no way they'd sub a base like that.
Good on you for complaining, they're lucky you havn't demanded a few quid for your time and trouble, don't think they'd have a leg to stand on considering Crowns reaction

hey, never thought of asking for some more money for my trouble especially as I've painted a wall in this dud stuff. Never mind, too late now. Just a complete bunch of idiots in this shop that unfortunately do a fair trade as its the only hardware/diy shop for miles. I'll definitely be staying well away in future. best wishes

Way back in 1984 the only place whithin 20 miles to get paint mixed (old dulux colouriser :) ) was a little hardware shop in our village. Often when using masonry colours I had the option (trade customers only lol) of having brilliant white weathershield tinted. This cost £1.00 extra and absolutely noooo problem. One particular job I did the walls in 'Gardenia' in my diary this was 1986. In 2001 I was asked to touch up the same walls after they filled cavaties and had windows replaced :rolleyes: . Gardenia by then could be bought off shelf and I was astounded to see that the factory mixed colour blended in unnoticed with the brilliant white tinted of 1986.
So personaly I can see no harm in using b/w. Used to be ****ed off having to buy BASE expensively. Crown would be annoyed the secret is out lol.
Would be interesting to see if you find the proper base and tint gives you the colour you expected. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back