Anyone got any scrap/unwanted boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have recently managed to book a place onto a gas course which starts next september. After speaking in detail to the lecturers and visiting the workshops, they explained we would be doing quiet a bit of work on boilers. I've done some DIY repairs on my own boiler and really enjoyed the work. Boiler repairs is an area i want to go into once I am qualified and gain sufficient experience.

However I was hoping to get a head start in the few months before the course begins by getting my hands on a couple of old boilers, taking them apart, understanding how the components work together, reading manufacturers instructions etc

Does anyone here have any old boilers or water heaters they want to get rid off. if so, i'd be happy to take these off your hands.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I am sure you would! So do scrap merchants who often pay £5 or £10 each!

My advice would be to contact local plumbers and offer to accompany them FREE to their jobs and assist them 100% which includes making tea and carying tools etc.

Find the right one and I am sure they will give you some old boilers that they take out.

In any case you will need practical work experience for your portfolio if your course is any good and its essential you form a good relationship with a local gas reg engineer who will help you with that.

Its debatable which model you use, I would suggest a simple typical 10 year old combi like a Saunier Duval or Ariston etc.

Tony

Thanks Agile. I'd be happy to pay £20 odd quid for these scrap boilers, as long term (in a few years) i;m sure it will pay off with the experience i'l gain.

I've phoned up a few local gas safe guys but nobody is willing to have me on, even for free as they probably think i'l steal their customers later on!

Sponsored Links
no,what ever gave you that thought.

its an ideal way to learn. :idea:

Thanks Agile. I'd be happy to pay £20 odd quid for these scrap boilers, as long term (in a few years) i;m sure it will pay off with the experience i'l gain.

I've phoned up a few local gas safe guys but nobody is willing to have me on, even for free as they probably think i'l steal their customers later on!

Yes all too true. You'll probably end up having to set up yourself with little experience with a van as no one wil take you on.

A very strange world we live in.

I saw a car being towed the other day, not that funny, but down the side was a decal with a ideal boiler on it offering a 7 year warranty. Made me smile.

Another possibility for training is to ask a few people in another area a bit further away such as Wolverhampton or Cov.

Have a look on Gumtree, free papers, ebay, etc

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/glow-worm-ultimate-40ff-boiler/1002510073[/QUOTE]

That boiler is of little use to you.

You need a combi as they are more complicated and you can see how it works.

Not everyone is blessed with your amazing ability to understand "how stuff works" instantly.

I fail to understand why you come on the forums, its not to help, its just to force your opinion?!

I have a couple in my garden you can have for free if you can be arsed to drive to Carshalton in Surrey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back