Current scrap prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know what the current scrap prices are? Me and my work colleague have been collecting it for the past 6 months and now we have so many bags of taps, copper, lead it has taken over his garage and one room of my house. I really want to take it down to the scrappy but am not sure what the current prices are as they've dropped a lot recently, and we've been collecting it for so long it'll be a shame to get rid of it when prices are low.

Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Does anyone know what the current scrap prices are?

yes, the scrap dealer you take it to.

no one on here can tell you otherwise, since it is up to each individual dealer what he gives for your scrap, and one thing we can't see that has to be considered is the quality of the scrap

The scrappies will all give you a different price for different things so it's worth phoning round to see who's giving the best price on the day.

Blimey, just checked out the prices on that link and they are half what they were six months ago! apparently its because the scrap prices are traded in Dollar$, damned yanks!!!

Blimey, just checked out the prices on that link and they are half what they were six months ago! apparently its because the scrap prices are traded in Dollar$, damned yanks!!!

Surely if the price is based on dollars you will receive more pounds not less, eg 8 mths ago $2=£1 now $1.30 =£1, so when you were paid $2 8 months ago you received £1 now if paid $2 you get £1.50 approx :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It doesn't matter why the price changes. It just does.

It's all pretty simple - if you want to keep a garage full of scrap, and gamble on the price going up before you get fed up, then do that.

If you'd prefer to have cash in the bank now, and a usable garage, then get rid of it.

Just weighed in some "clean" scrap copper (brass fittings etc. separated) at different scrap yards. In Liverpool got £1.40 a kg., but in St.Helens got £1.90 a kg. Mixed scrap (brass valves, fittings etc.) was £1.30 a kg. There was a notice on office window at scrapyard stating the need to have a licence to carry scrap , the cost being £145 for the licence which lasts for 3 years . Does this apply to all or is the one off weigh in exempt from this charge, saving the planet and all that :rolleyes: The tax man already takes his cut off the self-employed who declare it on their returns (i.e.me) If you had to buy the licence aswell you would be better off just giving the ******* stuff away :evil:

That sign is not true you need a licence to carry waste not scrap

I got pulled last week with a boiler and scrap from a job and was handed a ticket but when i got home i phoned them up to explain that i lowered the price for the job i just completed as im keeping the scrap what is part of my turn over as i get receipt for the scrap and as for the boiler i re-use the parts e.g. fan printed board heat ex...
He answered very sorry sir i will scrap the ticket you wont hear from us again
He went on to say its to stop fly tippers and carpet fitters who charge customers to remove but dump them

I think charging will make more people fly tip but you cant tell these people :rolleyes:

Tell that to my mate who got fined for taking some oil drums to the scrap yard.
The law is an ass. It should not be illegal to carry anything that is going to be recycled but thanks to the EU we have this stupid law.
Steel and other forms of scrap are listed as a commodity, a form of currencyas I see it. How can it be waste?

Your leftovers become waste as soon as you head for the scrappie according to the guy who stopped him.

He answered very sorry sir i will scrap the ticket
I wonder how much he got for weighing the ticket in and if he had a licence to carry waste ? :LOL:

I think part of this is due to different authorities interpretation of the law and you were lucky that the guy who stopped you had and used his now less 'common' than it used to be; 'common sense'

That is not true.

[url=http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/guidance_2039231.pdf]The Environment Agency[/url] said:
A carrier is any person who transports controlled waste to or
from any place in Great Britain in the course of any business, or otherwise with a view to profit.

Controlled waste is any kind of household, commercial or industrial waste, such as:

● any waste from a house, a shop, an office, a factory, or any other trade or business premises
● unwanted surplus substances
● building or demolition waste
● anything which is disposed of because it is broken, worn out, contaminated or spoiled in some other way.

It can be liquid or solid, and can be classed as ‘controlled waste’ even if it is not hazardous or toxic.

i phoned them up to explain that i lowered the price for the job i just completed as im keeping the scrap what is part of my turn over as i get receipt for the scrap and as for the boiler i re-use the parts e.g. fan printed board heat ex...
All of that is irrelevant.

I think charging will make more people fly tip but you cant tell these people :rolleyes:
I agree.

But if it is being "reused" then it is not "waste".

What the heck is "unwanted surplus substances " ???

Cant be any of the pipes & fittings that are being carried because at the time they are "wanted" :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back