Anyone got students? How are they managing the money?

My son is 32 now. Loans and ~£300 a month from us. Halls first then rent as cheaper but too many in the house so then a smaller place with 2 in it. ;) Helped by Chinese neighbours that could afford to keep the heating on.

They redecorated the larger house for rent discount. Also had to get the health people in to get the landlord to fix something or the other. Not sure that achieved anything really.

Part time job. He noticed that some spent too much time on that, pretty common. A lady for instance had one with B&Q, too many hours really so asked about splitting it, they said no. The job related to keeping prices competitive. My son found one that wasn't too excessive, assembling flat pack furniture. It didn't bring much in but didn't take too many hours of his time. Hourly pay wasn't too bad, limited amount of work. He went to Bangor. Limited number of student jobs about.

Bangor was my suggestion as a place in B'ham for what he wanted to do was difficult. Probably better for him to be away from home anyway. I didn't take any notice of this
Bangor University has retained its position among the top 350 universities worldwide for the third year in succession according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings released today (Wednesday 21 September 2016).

Only the results they achieve.

Changes since then - looks like more debt. Problems are likely to be much the same or maybe worse if placements have increased.

Sponsored Links
How many of these so called degrees used to be done at the local tech or polytech college people being forced into debt for in many cases minor qualifications
Actually as I am a college boy I think there has been some improvement in this area. The education was not free and often paid by some company or the other. Paths are a little clearer now but I would argue that full time education isn't essential. The only route without that way to a degree appears to be the OU which has an odd sort of set up. For instance I did an OU maths foundation course. I would have much rather done something more pointed at specific fields. Maybe say applied rather than pure.

In my time as a for instance there has been HNC, HND and equivalents where snobbery about full time, block and variations in day release figured. What happened - many tech colleges dished out degrees instead. Those are full time.

However do companies really want to train people now - not really if they can get away with it. Some one that has a qualification is a safer option for them rather than assuming they will get it.

For your information, freshers is not “one big *** up”
Social events are organised by student unions to encourage people meeting and to join societies.
The University organises loads of events in your ““***up” week such as library inductions, departmental inductions and everything that new students need to exist in university.
Health and safety briefings, ID cards etc.
it may be seen as some that it’s all about sex drugs and rock’n’roll and may have been once but it is a very hectic time with thousands of newcomers to integrate into a new institution.
I’m amazed at how few students drink nowadays compared to my day.

However do companies really want to train people now - not really if they can get away with it. Some one that has a qualification is a safer option for them rather than assuming they will get it.
it's also about short termism. Profit now, rather than expense and training costs,

Sponsored Links
I’m amazed at how few students drink nowadays compared to my day.
They may want a provisional driving licence so that they can drink if they want - when they are 18. University towns are usually very hot on that. I am 18 wont do.

Most bars in uni towns uses the compulsory student ID.
or the student Union card.
Driving licences are ok but everyone over 16 can apply

a degree is more than just the subject taken.

unless you are following a specific path like law. The degree proves the ability to accumulate , organise and disseminate information. The sign of an organised person and mind.

lots of people take degrees in maths and medicine and others but don't follow that career path. The degree alone doesn't make anybody right or wrong. It's an additional factor to be taken into consideration. It doesn't change a personality.
Exactly this.

When I went to Uni (20 years ago) I was advised to do a subject I'd enjoy rather than one that might get me a certain job, as many graduate roles just look for your grade rather than a specific topic. (Medicine, law, etc are exceptions).

I studied Ocean Science at uni. Got a graduate scheme role in finance and qualified as an accountant. I then worked in insurance for 15 years, before starting my own software company. Funny where life takes you.

I believe more and more students are choosing Combined apprenticeship university courses, Combining full-time paid work and part-time university study.

It helps pay for university and when the student gets their degree the company gets a person who already has work experience.
And remaining at home to help defray costs too.

8cd12885266510433ce630660a999305.jpg

Apart from the fact that it is an American based meme with American typical debt.

However my plumber was a graduate accountant who did plumber’s books and decided that a plumber made more than he did.

you do need to understand that a degree is beneficial to the person and society. It isn’t a training system for work necessarily.
Even art students can move to art therapy or PGCE to teach YOUR kids

Driving licences are ok but everyone over 16 can apply
It's what my son chose to get suggesting there can be problems with other things. Unless of course he had other reasons. I don't think so. Little interest in driving.

Apart from the fact that it is an American based meme with American typical debt.

However my plumber was a graduate accountant who did plumber’s books and decided that a plumber made more than he did.

you do need to understand that a degree is beneficial to the person and society. It isn’t a training system for work necessarily.
Even art students can move to art therapy or PGCE to teach YOUR kids
yeah we so need more media/ sports science /philosophy /art history /david beckham etc etc and where would we be without art therapy

yeah we so need more media/ sports science /philosophy /art history /david beckham etc etc and where would we be without art therapy
Did you see the TV programme t'other night about Australian indigenous art?
All started by an art therapist taking on a whole load of Australian indigenous people who had nothing to interest them.
They started a whole new genre of art and some are now selling for millions.

“yeah we so need more media/ sports science /philosophy /art history /david beckham etc etc and where would we be without art therapy”

A mate of mine had a serious drink and drug problem for 30 years. He undertakes art therapy now and hasn’t touched any stimulants since. It literally saved his life.
another person I know (vaguely) works as an art therapist with head injury and stroke victims
i shudder to think what life must be like in your head.

“yeah we so need more media/ sports science /philosophy /art history /david beckham etc etc and where would we be without art therapy”

A mate of mine had a serious drink and drug problem for 30 years. He undertakes art therapy now and hasn’t touched any stimulants since. It literally saved his life.
another person I know (vaguely) works as an art therapist with head injury and stroke victims
i shudder to think what life must be like in your head.
My head is perfectly ok inside with no need for an art therapist needed let alone to cure me of self inflicted drug and substance abuse

Sponsored Links
Back