Anyone here Furloughed?

Sponsored Links
Did I read that right? (The govt have done well)
Yes, the govt did well on the finance -there are lots of people falling through the cracks but they did very well in the timeframe

of course all the work was done by the civil service not the govt.

of course all the work was done by the civil service not the govt.
Surely someone has to tell them what to do otherwise they’d be running round like headless chickens? Who is ultimately in charge of the civil service?

A bit like if you employed subbies to do a job - they will only do what you tell them to do so you will ultimately be responsible for the end result.

Sponsored Links
The head of the civil service :rolleyes:

Currently Mark Sedwill
I asked who is ultimately in charge of the civil service.

Don’t bother, I have the information here:

THE ROLE

As Cabinet Secretary, Mark is the Government’s most senior adviser on strategy, policy and implementation. He is Secretary to the Cabinet and the National Security Council, responsible to the Prime Minister and Cabinet for the propriety and effectiveness of Cabinet governance. As Head of the UK Civil Service, he leads over 400,000 civil servants in HM Government and the Devolved Administrations, over 90% of whom are involved in the delivery of public services to the citizen.

You're welcome. (y)

Last edited:
I asked who is ultimately in charge of the civil service.

Don’t bother, I have the information here:

THE ROLE

As Cabinet Secretary, Mark is the Government’s most senior adviser on strategy, policy and implementation. He is Secretary to the Cabinet and the National Security Council, responsible to the Prime Minister and Cabinet for the propriety and effectiveness of Cabinet governance. As Head of the UK Civil Service, he leads over 400,000 civil servants in HM Government and the Devolved Administrations, over 90% of whom are involved in the delivery of public services to the citizen.

You're welcome. (y)
And the Prime Minister is on paper answerable to the head of state.

:)

Surely someone has to tell them what to do otherwise they’d be running round like headless chickens? Who is ultimately in charge of the civil service?

No.

The civil service tell the executive what to do.

do you seriously think Johnson has a frigging clue about how to design a furlough system and how the money can be distributed through the taxation system.

you really are wet behind the ears

The civil service tell the executive what to do.

do you seriously think Johnson has a frigging clue about how to design a furlough system and how the money can be distributed through the taxation system.

you really are wet behind the ears
The civil service advise. Advice can be ignored.

Tell me, if you were doing a big job that required a heating and wiring system installed as part of that job, would you be telling the sparky and plumber how to design them or taking their advice? If they ****ed up, would they be responsible to the client or you? What about if it was a raging success - it’ll be all down to your wonderful man-management Wouldn't it? Of course It would - as you were the commissioner of the subbies.

Just because BJ didn’t design the furlough system doesn’t mean he isn’t responsible for its inception or execution. Bit like a football manager - his team, his methods but if the team ****s up, he get the bullet, not the team. Then again, if the team have success, it’s all down to him!

There is a huge difference between responsibility and accountability.
the same person can be both of both can be divided between others.
The person(s) 'Responsible' has to ensure the plan is carried out in a responsible manner. They do not have to ensure it is successful.
The person who is 'Accountable' has the duty to ensure that all steps have been taken in the design, construction and implementation of the service, to such an extent that all reasonable care, due diligence and possible outcomes have been considered and what implications may occur should the service fail to meet it's envisaged outcome.

You need to decide/find out who is responsible for the civil service and who is accountable for the civil service.

At the end of the day, in my opinion, Boris or any leader is simply a mouthpiece for the orchestra behind the doors.
Even Margaret Thatcher said the comedy Yes Minister was far closer to reality than the public may realise.

And I've just had a text to say stay at home because my employers are still not opening at the present time.
More details will be communicated later in the week. That will probably be Friday then when we get our usual team briefing news.

Sponsored Links
Back