Anyone in London in the 50s?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm writing a novel set partly in London circa 1955. Can anyone tell me how the post-Blitz era was? Were there still any damaged buildings? Had they all been replaced/rebuilt? Were families being moved out of inner London into what would become known as 'Metro-land'.
Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm writing a novel set partly in London circa 1955. Can anyone tell me how the post-Blitz era was? Were there still any damaged buildings? Had they all been replaced/rebuilt? Were families being moved out of inner London into what would become known as 'Metro-land'.

I have alot of friends in and around London, I will ask if they can ask parents/grandparents if they can help out. I used to love listening to my great grandparents, my great grandmother was 98 when she died 20 years ago and had lot's of tails to tell. She spent some time in the work house!! And went on to live in a convent. Bloody hard times!!

PM me an email.

My mother (born in Oban, Scotland) moved up from Kilburn to Houghton Regis, Beds around that time

Her father (Yorkshireman) had been commuting for years from Kilburn by train up to the then massive Vauxhall car plant. He had been in the Navy during the war, as a chef and like a lot of chefs was the butt of the old joke that he was responsible for more deaths than the Germans. After the war he travelled the country for work before finding the Vauxhall job, hence the spell in Oban. There was a massive movment of people from London to Luton area post war . A part of the town is still known as 'Tin Town' where some of the prefab houses built then ,still are.

My grandfather died in the 70's .

Her mother was from Portsmouth. Her Uncles worked in the docks ,at least two in shipbuilding and thus did not join up , but Pompey got hammered too.

She smoked from a teenager (it was good for you then !) until a year before her death when emphsyma (sp) did for her, having always been fit. She survived cervical cancer only after her famliy insisted she get treatment.

She reckoned that after going through the war, rearing a large family which included a disabled son , and having her husband die thrity years previously she was quite ready to face her maker and didn't want anyone 'interfering' with her! She had only been in hospital once before and that was for birth of the above mentioned son. The rest were all born at their various homes with midwifery of one kind or another .

Different times indeed.

I will ask my mother if she would be interested in talking to you.

. Can anyone tell me how the post-Blitz era was? Were there still any damaged buildings? Had they all been replaced/rebuilt?.
Rebuilt - no way - the bomb sites were used car lots . And the houses being built were ........................................Council Houses :eek: :LOL: And there was rationing until `54 .

Sponsored Links
Will ask my mother, I was born in 1959 at Golder Green and my grandfather, uncle and my mother all living at Abbey Road, London

Off-topic - I remember them telling me they used to sleep at night in a metal indoor cage known as the morrison shelter and during the day using as a table for dinner then playing table tennis in the evening!

They say its best to write from experience Joe. but best of luck.

This could be an interesting thread. Try and remember what you saw and heard about your time in the 50s/60s and your parents in the 40s.
Doesn't matter if it's not London.

What you want to know?

Doodle bugs hitting the church spire, still not fixed to this day?
House next door to nan hit but she was out working?
Ahh thats the 40`s.

50`s, still food shortages, work was not too bad.
Child illness was high as the mortality rate.
Laundrettes were the social meeting places for the women.
Fresh bread was at the top of the road.
Pie and Mash was a luxury.

Dad got a job in the navy, came back the best paid lad in the area had the first car in the street.

Just bits i can remember from my nan in the 50`s

London BTW

The characters in the book will be walking around in London in about 1955. I want to know what they would see re the war, poverty, clothing, food they might eat, trafic, docklands etc. A bit of a snapshot of the day.

Little if no traffic apart from buses and deliveries ( mainly beer to pubs by horse and cart still). Well within Wandsworth and Chiswick Breweries.

Children with hand me downs still, knees hanging out at times.
Food was basic unless you had a half decent job, read docks.

Docks were winding down but still busy.

Just bits and pieces from my now dead granddad nan and dad I can recall.
Mum was still in Ireland then, why she came over in `62. It was sh1te where she came from.

Can sit down for a while and knock up a quick essay on what I recall being told if you like but I was born in `64 so it will be 2nd hand stuff.

I've almost got enough from what you've said. Just need to get a feel of the place - especially the rebuilding.

Doors open, neighbours walking into each others homes without announcement. Where we grew up that went on until about 1975, then nan got robbed, or rather her gas meter did.

staying out till dark and worrying about a hiding ( my dad with his dad).

Coppers giving you a thick ear rather than telling your parents (Back to the 50`s again).

Prefabs everywhere, housing associations springing up and the first property developers. Outside toilets (Still vaguely remember my nans one in mid 60`s).

(No doubt some **** will moan about this) Dad saw 1 st black man about late 58 who worked for the buses. They used to chase him until he turned around and went boo apparently.
Actually still know his grandson ( as about my age to this day).

FFS this is difficult trying to remember snippits from playing with the train set granddad has that filled the garden and he chatted before he died of cancer.
Seriously a Hornby set with so much track it was untrue.

Mum found it in the attic a few yrs back and gave it way before asking us, must have been worth a fortune!!!

So granddad had a decent job in the docks to afford that.

Doors open, neighbours walking into each others homes without announcement. Where we grew up that went on until about 1975, then nan got robbed, or rather her gas meter did.

Gas meters took tanners and shillings - juke box took shillings for 5 plays . Teddy Boys may have been about - or maybe a bit later :confused: Working Man drunk " beer" ie. Mild - bitter wasn`t so popular - and lager non existant . Loads of different ciggies - particularly un tipped ones .Pipes popular then too - shag tobbacco - :mad: Good film to watch ......." hell drivers" made in `57 so not much different ;) gives a good atmosphere and dress of the time . Many barbers shops - probably more than today - everyone had a short back+sides - and Something for the weekend came in Packets of 3

Yeah. Loads of barbers, some still in the same places!!
As you say no larger.
Snooker halls were the boys hang outs if you didnt have a bike or a car.
Woodbines.........Players were the main ciggies.

Something for the weekend sir...............lol I was getting that in the 70`s.

Working mens clubs were getting established IIRC from Granddad.

I remember short back and sides, then in the 60's i had a Beatle cut, now it's more like Homer Simson. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back