ideal mini S24 repair help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed the pressure on my ideal mini s24 was reading 0 bar so I attempted to let in some water, however the pressure gauge also looks broken because it wouldn't move past 0.

In the process I over pressured the system and the pressure release valve burst open. After that I ran the central heating for a while and noticed it dripping the hotter the water got. Finally the won't start. I decided it's time to call the professionals, however no one seems to have parts for this boiler.

Can someone who knows about these things please tell me how much this is likely to cost to repair? More importantly I need to have this job done properly so can anyone recommend anyone in the south east London area?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I called about 10 engineers and they all said the same thing. Good thing is the boiler is working again, it was just unplugged slightly :eek:

I reset the timer and hopefully we can stay warm until middle of next week, put a bucket under to catch all the drips.

Thanks for the help on the price, so £30 is for the gauge and probably similar for the valve? and maybe 2 hour labour charge. Still a costly mistake to make. :(

The valve is only dripping when the central heating is running, do you think maybe its not compelety broken and just trying to release some of the excess pressure?

The discharge valve operates at around 3 bars. As your gauge is not working actually you don’t know the pressure inside your boiler and heating circuit, so you might have a pressure of 2.5 at cold now, and 3.0 at hot which trips the discharge valve. Replace a pressure gauge first, and top up with correct pressure of 1.0 to 1.5 bar pressure to see.
Or you can measure the exact pressure vis the valve through the expansion vessel, but it is not the job for DIY level.

Sponsored Links
My expansion vessel is blown. Are these things easy to replace on my boiler? I don't want an ugly external one. A BG plumber quoted over 400 pounds to fit the vessel, prv and pressure gauge. I will try a local tradesman tomorrow.

Are these things easy to replace and get hold of? someone please help.

My expansion vessel is blown. Are these things easy to replace on my boiler? I don't want an ugly external one. A BG plumber quoted over 400 pounds to fit the vessel, prv and pressure gauge. I will try a local tradesman tomorrow.

Are these things easy to replace and get hold of? someone please help.
Still don't understand why you want to change expanssion vessel instead of a pressure gauge?

1. Change damaged pressure gauge first.

2. Check the expansion vessel's pressure, in most cases you only need re-pressure it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back