Ideal mini s24, not activity when CH activated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve got an ideal mini s24, works fine, had a new full sequence PCB last year.

As it’s getting cold, I’ve put the central heating back on. It was working fine the last few days but now, nothing.

Hot water is fine, boiler fires up and I get hot water.

When I turn the heating on with my Hive thermostat, I set a target temperature higher than what the actual is, the hive receiver lights up showing central heating is on, I can hear a little solenoid move (box on a pipe) and that’s it, boiler does nothing what so ever.

Pressure is 2 bar, temp about 40 as seen on the boilers gauge.

No error codes as it doesn’t try to do anything so is off..

Any clues?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just to add, I have found the my radiators get hot when I have the central heating AND hot water activated.

When I turn the hot water off, boiler turns off even though the CH is still on (according to the Stat and receiver)

Thanks Shambolic!

That's what I was referring to when I mentioned "I can hear a little solenoid move (box on a pipe)". It slowly moves to new position when CH turned on, when turned off, it makes a whir sound and quickly moves back.

Its a Drayston one. I will take a close look and look to change!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just an update to make sure I explained this all correctly before I go get a new zone actuator...

Ideal mini s24
Hive thermostat

Hot water only works fine. Drayton actuator moves, boiler fires up.

Central heating only does not activate the boiler, the green light flashes and goes solid on the hive receiver and then activate the Drayton actuator (I can see the arms move). When I turn heating off, the actuator moves back. But the boiler does not come on at all.

If I have hot water on, then activate the heating, the radiators get hot. Woohoo.

There is a Honeywell actuator on the same pipe as the drayton, there is a T in between the 2 actuators, the arm can be moved, currently in the middle (auto). This moves when activating the hot water.

Is the Drayton at fault? Appears active but perhaps a switch isn’t sending signal?

Sorry to ask again, just want to present all the facts.
Cheers

Just an update to make sure I explained this all correctly before I go get a new zone actuator...

Ideal mini s24
Hive thermostat

Hot water only works fine. Drayton actuator moves, boiler fires up.

Central heating only does not activate the boiler, the green light flashes and goes solid on the hive receiver and then activate the Drayton actuator (I can see the arms move). When I turn heating off, the actuator moves back. But the boiler does not come on at all.

If I have hot water on, then activate the heating, the radiators get hot. Woohoo.

There is a Honeywell actuator on the same pipe as the drayton, there is a T in between the 2 actuators, the arm can be moved, currently in the middle (auto). This moves when activating the hot water.

Is the Drayton at fault? Appears active but perhaps a switch isn’t sending signal?

Sorry to ask again, just want to present all the facts.
Cheers

Look up how motorised zone valves work.
You mention 2 so you likely have an S plan with 2 x 2 port ones... Albeit mixed brands.
There are loads of youtube vids. Heed info about micro switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back