Anyone know anything about BFT remote gate controllers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some help regarding setting up some electric gates on our drive, as the people who installed them have long gone and I don't know the best way to resolve this.

The gates are powered by BFT subterranean motorised actuators via a BFT Control system using infra red beam detection and magnetic locks.

Does anyone know any contacts who could advise or help with this? I live in the South West near Chippenham, Wiltshire.

Basically the gates need maintenance and the programming set up correctly as I think it has 'defaulted' to the standard program and it is putting a lot of strain on the motors at the moment.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The situation is as follows:-

The motors are BFT ELI-250 subterranean electromechanical actuators, one under each gate leaf. These are wired back to a BFT RIGEL 5 Universal Control Unit. Also connected are a pair of IR beam detectors and a maglock.

The problem is that when the gates are operated the maglock is supposed to release and after a short delay; the first leaf should open followed by the second leaf, until both gates are fully open.
Then, either when a preset open delay is reached or the remote pressed again, the second leaf starts to close, followed by the first until closure. Finally, after a preset delay, the maglock should again operate and lock the gates securely. The maglock assembly is mounted half way up the gates, in the centre.

What I believe is happening is that the when the command is sent to open the gates via the remote button, the gates are trying to open too quickly which pulls against the maglock and only when the lock has lost its magnetism, do the gates release an open correctly. I think it’s called 'Hysteresis' when the field is strong initially, holding the lock faces closed until it weakens sufficiently for the gate to open properly.

I have checked the programming of the RIGEL 5 and it appears to be correct, but I cannot be absolutely confident of this.

What I need to happen is once the remote is operated, the maglock should immediately release, then after say 5 seconds, the gates open, first one leaf and then after a delay, the second.

I have tried talking to BFT directly but they won't deal directly with me and says that the installer must contact them for a fix. They will not deal directly with the End User. As the installer has 'disappeared' and can no longer be contacted, I have no way of contacting BFT for a solution!

I don't see any option in the manual for setting the delay between the 12v lock impulse and the time the first leaf opens..
the only option I see is for the delay between first and second leaf starting to move..

edit..
maybe it's the "ram blow on opening" that needs setting to on.. this tries to close the gate for 2 seconds before opening them, effectively giving you a 2 second delay for the lock to release... if I'm reading it right...

Thanks for this. I will try programming this option up and see if it works.
I'll post the outcome.
Thanks ColJack

Sponsored Links
it's funny that you posted this today, and apparently joined today yet I clearly remember this post from a few weeks ago and even recieved a PM from you on the subject...

Yes, you are right...just deleted and restarted a new account under my new business venture....localyokel just sounded too corny for my liking!

I PM'd you but not being used to how these forums work, thought it best to cast the net further to see if anyone could help me out with this!

So I appreciate the genuine support...many thanks. :D

Hi ColJack,

I tried reprogramming the Rigel control unit at the weekend.

The first thing I tried was the Ram Blow option on Open, but this really didn't make much difference, as the maximum time it will energise the motor in reverse to allow for the maglock to release.
Either with or without this option, the first leaf still tries to open before the maglock has fully released, which basically tries to pull both gates together until finally after about 1 second , the maglock drops the hold and the first leaf opens then as it should, followed by the second leaf after a programmed time.

Something still isn't right with the set up as on the open command, the motors should remain de-energised state whilst the maglock receives an off or release command to drop the hold, and then, after a programmed time delay, the first leaf should open followed by the second, as above.

I cannot fathom out if the gate drives have been installed incorrectly or if it is the system design that is at fault. the problem I have is that BFT will not assist me when I ask! They will only deal with an approved installer an my guy has done a runner on me with this!

What I need is a contact at BFT or a name of a good electrical gate installer or control engineer!

i deal with BFT all the time, ring kevin in southern office and he will help you.
if not ring my office and arrange a site visit to service the gates and sort this out for you. 01684 276870 ask for Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back