Anyone know the avg distance between rad end and bracket clips are?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm in the middle of a renovation and have started work in the loft conversion. As it has stud walls i want to have something substantial to fix the radiator brackets to but i don't know where they will be to start fixing timber battons can anyone advise the avg spacing from a radiator edge to where the brackets start?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
varies with manufacturer, best to chose your rads now and look at the tech drawings for them which should be available from the manufacturers website.

Even then you'll be lucky to get things right. One technique I use, which isn't unsightly, is to fix a piece of 15mm MDF sheet onto the wall at the location where you want the radiator. The sheet is sized say a couple of inches smaller all round than the radiator. This gets fixed through the surface plasterboard into the studs wherever they are located. The radiator brackets then fix onto the MDF at the exact positions where required - problem solved.

As above, distances vary wildly with manufacturer, but most manufacturers will provide the information on their website

If you've not plasterboarded yet and don't want to choose your rads at this stage, fix 18mm ply into the studwork the same size as the rad. That way, wherever you put your brackets you'll get a strong fixing

Sponsored Links
Brill, thanks guys, didn't want to go and buy the rads just yet to have them sitting around in case of damage + plus will be getting enough for the whole house eventually so want to try and get some money off a bulk buy. Looking at going with stelrad, good info on their site for the sizings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back