Anyone know what causes this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
neither wall are external. The plaster is not wet or damp. The paint lifts and goes chalky. Below the stairs is another staircase that goes to a cellar.

I’ve sanded and repainted a few times.

Attachments

• 9455E5CD-406B-4677-8FFD-D5D96D216AFB.jpeg
    9455E5CD-406B-4677-8FFD-D5D96D216AFB.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 359
  • EDF1B42E-9A7B-4273-943F-BAFB53908CBC.jpeg
    EDF1B42E-9A7B-4273-943F-BAFB53908CBC.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 352
  • 549679BB-B523-432A-B79F-ED95C1FEDC23.jpeg
    549679BB-B523-432A-B79F-ED95C1FEDC23.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 372
  • CB7F82B9-C945-4D3A-A096-09756CDBC460.jpeg
    CB7F82B9-C945-4D3A-A096-09756CDBC460.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 356
Sponsored Links
mordzy, good evening.

Given the location of the issues you are having? there is a possibility that the walls were at one time painted with an old form of paint called Distemper.

Distemper at times does not take well to over-coating with modern paint

Suggest you have a look @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distemper_(paint)

There should be a load of info on this site about this material.

Ken

Hi ken

Sorry, I should have said I had the walls re plastered approx 6 years ago. It’s progressively got worse

Sponsored Links
Did you mist coat when painting? did you wipe down dusty wall before painting?

You say the plaster is not wet or damp. How do you know? It looks exactly like it is being caused by damp.

Yeh it looks exactly like damp . I’ve had a humidity meter in the Hall for the past 6 months and it’s showing dry.

It’s gypsum plastered. Ive read about that efflorescence before or something to do with salts coming through. There is a cellar the floor below, the walls aren’t external, it doesn’t happen on externals walls plastered and painted the same.

When I say it doesn’t feee damp, as in if you flake the paint off the plaster is dry.

Any suggestions on what to do

mordzy, good evening again.

OK I bounced of with Distemper [an easy hit]

Can you beg, borrow, or simply Blagg a moisture meter?

Preferably one that has the ability to be used as a "detector" not just two prongs that you stick into plaster or wood?

If not?

It may be possible to place a layer of plastic foor wrap over the affected areas, I would not use any tape? it will mark the wall.

If any moisture forms on the inner surface, your wall is damp.

Ken

Hi Ken, Thanks for the tip. Id seen some videos online of the Efflorescence giving false readings through the two prong damp meters due to salts being conductive so had not bothered. Ill look at the other type but ill certainly try some clingfilm over. Ill use tape to hold it on, not too fussed about marking the walls given there current state.

If it is damp. Do you have any suggestions of were to look? ill try draw I diagram or the area effected to show why I cant understand where its coming from.

Please see really bad sketch

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 10.30.24.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 10.30.24.png
    296.5 KB · Views: 292
Damp in party wall could be from leaking rad next door but most likely roof , do you have parapet wall on roof or does it run into next doors.

The paint issue happens on both walls either side of the stairs. (see drawing and pictures) so the wall to the left of the staircase as looking up the staircase is a internal partition wall between the ground floor room and staircase. If it was only on the party wall then perhaps I could understand a water ingress issue.

The property used to be one big farm house so the roof is one with no parapet. Looking outside on the boundary of the houses the gutters are not joined but separated which could contribute to some water from the roof runing down the wall but they are pretty much touching. I did go outside while it was raining and watch. My neighbours gutter needs cleaning was water was splashing down over his window but its a good 4 meters from the party wall.

Last edited:
I scraped some paint off the wall and stuck a bit of cling over the wall last night, no condensation this morning... ill leave it a few days. Was hard to get it stuck down as the tape just lifted the paint off. I noticed on the sections where the paint had 'bubbled' that the plaster behind it was 'pitted' like the surface of the plaster had crumbled off pushing the paint out. the bubbles are very small and low down. no bigger than 2mm across.

I also ran my hand down the wall to feel the paint, which above feels dry, as I get to the effected part there is a change which feels damp or not warm, like a temperature change. but also that there is more moisture in that area. Its hard to describe because it doesn't feel wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back