Anyone Know What This (Ed: Electronic part) Is Called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, in 2017 I was on here asking about fan capacitors.
Blow me down (pun intended) here I am again with a similar question.
Manrose 'Gold' timer fan, started surging but worked perfectly on timer, so no bearing issues.
Eventually it just stopped all together (strangely straight after I'd vacuumed any fluff and debris from the blades).
I have since bypassed the circuit board and the fan works as it should on the switched live.
I'm pretty sure I can see which bit has blown on the board.
Both areas around the connection at each end are brown.
There isn't an id number on it.
Anyone know what it's called/where to get one? In case it's not clear, it's the pink banded beast.
FanBoard.JPG

I'd love to have a go and see if that's what the problem is with these things as I've noticed others having the same issue with the same model.
One weak component causing the failures maybe.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a multimeter?

That is a 2.2KΩ (2.2 Kilo Ohm) resistor but to be honest it doesn't look like it's overheated.

The board looks discoloured where the legs at both ends of that resistor go through. What's it like on the other side of the board?

Sponsored Links
The board looks discoloured where the legs at both ends of that resistor go through
Example from a recently hijacked thread! :)
1697647002072.png

I can literally smell the roasting PCB!

Example from a recently hijacked thread! :)
View attachment 317519

I can literally smell the roasting PCB!
Oh yes the very familiar smell of cacogenic boiling resin never did nobody no harm.

Do you have a multimeter?

That is a 2.2KΩ (2.2 Kilo Ohm) resistor but to be honest it doesn't look like it's overheated.

Just to correct you, its actually a 220 Ohm 5% resistor.
1697697569530.png

2.2K would be red red red.
In case you want to verify this.

Although your correct, it does not look like it is faulty, it's more probable that the solder joint has failed on it.

Red Red Orange

2 2 3 where 3 is the multiplier ( number of zeros )

Orange can on an overheated resister appear to be more brown than orange

And the Manrose circuit diagram show it to be 22Kohms

My experiance with resistor color codes is that they are useful as a cross-check, but reading one with no prior information carries a high chance of a misread.

Just to correct you, its actually a 220 Ohm 5% resistor.
View attachment 317567

2.2K would be red red red.
In case you want to verify this.

Although your correct, it does not look like it is faulty, it's more probable that the solder joint has failed on it.
Red Red Orange

2 2 3 where 3 is the multiplier ( number of zeros )

Orange can on an overheated resister appear to be more brown than orange

And the Manrose circuit diagram show it to be 22Kohms
My apologies, however on this laptop, regardless of how much I squint, view from different angles, different lighting etc I cannot make it look like anything other than 2.2KΩ but Random's pic is undoubtedly 22KΩ.
On another laptop I clearly see 22KΩ for both.

Not being funny or critical etc I've not struggled to 'read' values of 3 band components for 60 years and at the beginning there was as much Body, Tip, Dot around. Until recently with LED lighting.

Now I'm finding some of the four band versions are getting very tricky to identify for 3 reasons:
1/ Obviousely LED lighting colour cast. Brown, Red and orange in particular often merge together as do Violet, Grey, White.
2/ The colours themselves vary so much. Sometimes 2 adjacent components may have say orange of one looking exactly like the red on the other etc.
3/ What value is this?
1697744301010.png

Last edited:
Well it looks like red, red, brown to me.
for a that resistor 220r also seems more likely to me.

for no3 - assuming that it is red,brown,red,black,orange,orange. = 212 Ω ±0.05% (W) 15ppm/K (P)

Either way, whatever value it is - it's best to actually measure it with a multimeter to confirm it's value.

Bernard, care to share that circuit diagram?

Well it looks like red, red, brown to me.
for a that resistor 220r also seems more likely to me.
If it was 220 Ohms, that poor little resistor would be dissipating about 130 Watts!

Bernard, care to share that circuit diagram?
Post #17 in the previously linked thread..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back