Anyone know where I can buy 50 mm loft insulation roll?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am insulating loft (as cold loft), ripping out the old tissue-thin insulation first as it is full of mouse crap and rubbish. Am having problems finding suitable (and cheap) first-level insulation to go between the ceiling joists before rolling thicker stuff over the top. Two problems:
- non-standard size at mostly 41 cm gaps (width of gap, not joist centres) with a few 33 cm at the middle.
- depth is not suited to the current standard sizes - they're only 50 mm deep, and I can't find loft roll (e.g. Knauf) at this thickness.
Can't afford the expensive loft boards that I could cut to fit. And even the semi-rigid rafter roll mineral stuff seems to be a factor of 10 more expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Looking for a solution I can buy in person in the north-east or buy online and have home-delivered. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the loft floor boarded out?
Is that why you need 50mm?
Because if it's not boarded out, you can get any thickness down.

Hmm - I thought it was best to infill the gaps between joists, then lay crossways over the top. Surely if I just lay a 200mm layer over the joists, it will leave voids for convection currents to take my precious heat away? This is the reason I planned to do it myself rather than pay £100 for someone to throw some rolls on top in an hour.

Your only going to get rollbatt @ standard sizes of 100, 150, 170, 200mm.
If you have the time you could strip the layers down to 50mm.
But I would lay the 100mm down in between joist and fill in any gaps in before layering over top.
You can get rigid boards and slabs @ 50mm.

Sponsored Links
Have been looking around, and I see plenty of cavity/acoustic insulation at 50 mm thick (e.g. Rockwool, costs around £2/m2 + vat). Anyone know if this would do the job I'm looking for, or is there some reason not to use batts for insulating the floor in a loft?

Jeez, just buy 100mm, lay a layer between the joists squash it in the thinner gaps or cut it a bit thinner, lay another layer perpendicular across the top, then another. You're thinking too much! ;)

The acoustic stuff is the same material. You will however pay a lot more for it pro rata because :

a) The manufacturers always try to increase their margins on new products
b) Being "acoustic" it probably won't benefit from any subsidies from the energy companies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back