Another question about flooring a loft... (rolls eyes)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But with a bit of difference... ;)

Our loft is currently boarded out (by the previous owners), with loads of tongue and groove floorboards that have been nailed into the joists - short sections, long section, off cuts basically :rolleyes:

I want to rip up all these ‘floorboards’ to lay insulation as there is currently nothing there.

As I want to keep a section of floor for storage but really don't want to build the joists up to the recommended 270mm, I was thinking of putting down 100mm of rockwool between the joists then Knauf space board on top. I'm a bit confused as there appears to be two versions on the Q&B website, this one:

Knauf Space Board Insulation 500mm x 1200mm - £3.78

Which I assume is not the same as this stuff (insulation wise or price wise, plus can only see instructions for the one below on the Knauf website):

Knauf Space Board Insulation 500mm x 1200mm x 52.5mm - £19.98

I'm willing to take the hit on less insulation in one area of the loft but as the instructions state you can't walk directly on the space board, it needs to be covered with chipboard, can I get away with 12mm board, rather than the standard 18mm?

The instructions also state you can put space board directly onto joists then board on top but personally, I'd be a bit concerned about that so was thinking of putting down 3mm hard board (for weight saving reasons), then the space board, then the chip board. Is this a good idea?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Since both are made of extruded polystyrene but only the latter gives a thickness and R -value, I would guess that the first board is 8- 10 mm thick and B+Q are either too ashamed to gives its R value or too stupid to realise they haven't.

Sorry, can't help with your queries on weight-carrying, although answers will depend on your joist sizes and spacing so you might like to confirm those ..............NOW !

the first sounds like a single board, the second is a pack of 4 boards ( covers 2.4m² )

Sponsored Links
ColJack may well be right.

Having looked at both links, they both specify max 100 m2 per customer and no professionals, so could be the same product at illogical prices.

A good wake-up call to always examne prices of the same product to see you are not being ripped off ( or equally the victim of a moronic buyer/programmer who doesn't know the difference between good value and a turnip) - bit agricultural that, since it's becoming autumnal.

the first sounds like a single board, the second is a pack of 4 boards ( covers 2.4m² )

This is exactly right, at least in my local - completely illogical that 4 x single boards works out cheaper than a pack of 4. Note however that if you have a Focus near you, they are doing the packs of 4 for £25, but they are on BOGOF so that works out a bit cheaper again.

if you have a Focus near you, they are doing the packs of 4 for £25, but they are on BOGOF

Thanks for letting me know about the BOGOF, it saved me a 40 minute round trip to Leatherhead, and some money!

I bought four packs and thought I'd made a bit of a mistake when I got back to the car (a Peugeot 206)! Who said all those years of playing Tetris were wasted? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back