Where can I buy loose fill fibrous insulation for a loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft is mostly boarded. It is insulated under the boards, with what appears to be rolls of rockwool type insulation. Around some of the edges, under the cold water tank and above a dormer window the loft is not boarded, but is insulated with clumps of a dark brown fibrous material in a relatively thin and uneven layer. I want to increase the thickness of the insulation in these areas. Perhaps the most obvious way is to put more of the same material down, because it is difficult to lay rolls in these areas, but I don't know what it is called or where I could buy it. Is it loose fill, or could it be insulation rolls that have been cut or torn, or even rolls that have deteriorated and broken up?

I suppose I could use the granular type loose fill, but I think it would look better if I could use something similar to what is already down.

If anyone could help me by naming the type of insulation described or if anyone knows where I could purchase it, I'd be most grateful.

Sponsored Links
If you want to improve your loft insulation a little and retain the boarding in the loft you can of course add the loose fill insulation to a depth of your existing ceiling joists. Warmcel 100 is a manufacturer http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&cr=c...&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=8b857c6d210702e0 although I think there are other makes.

However if you want to significantly improve the insulation you will have to add new spacer joists perpendicular to your existing joists and 2 or 3 layers of Rockwool or similar and then board over it. Otherwise you could add a rigid insulation such as Kingspan between your existing joists and replace the boards afterwards. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back