1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know where I can get a cap for this pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Temmy, 26 Jul 2021.

1. Temmy

Temmy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hey,

I need a cap for this pipe

[​IMG]

Can anyone point me in the direction of an item that'll do it? Also, I've never dealt with pipes before, would this be classed as 80mm pipe?

Last edited: 26 Jul 2021
  2. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    is it a gutter downpipe?

show us where it goes.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Temmy

Temmy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @JohnD Yep. It's a from a downpipe. It goes into an old, clay clogged, soakaway.

The open hole I assume used to have a pipe in it, but right now the water is flowing back, flooding the path and sitting against the brickwork.

[​IMG]

5. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Caps are not available for downpipes, would suggest removing it and replacing with a bend, however, given the soakaway is pretty useless, you wont gain much. I would suggest, you dig out and redo the soakaway, (so it at least accepts some water), if there is no other option available for drainage.

Then relay the pipe from the downpipe, use a 90° bend at the bottom and take it in a straight line to the soakaway. (Ideally this needs doing in 110mm pipe, but if you want to reuse the 68mm downpipe that will be OK, just make sure it has some kind of protection from anything that could damage it.)

6. Sponsored Links
  7. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    the house wall looks rather damp, so it might be the whole thing has been leaking and would benefit from digging out and relaying. Especially if you are thinking of laying new paving.

is the dpc in that joint with dark, limey bricks below and clean, pale bricks above?

edit
    oh, I see now that you added "but right now the water is flowing back, flooding the path and sitting against the brickwork." which explains it.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2021