Anyone know why my wired smoke alarm cables still have voltage after fuse switched off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As above, the plan was to disconnect all wired ones (3), and push cables into ceiling (in box). And replace with 3 battery nest units.

I assumed turning the fuse off would leave them with no power at all and be totally safe!?

Sponsored Links
As above, the plan was to disconnect all wired ones (3), and push cables into ceiling (in box). And replace with 3 battery nest units. I assumed turning the fuse off would leave them with no power at all and be totally safe!?
There probably is no 'real power' there, just 'stray pickup' by a very sensitive meter. If you connected something (like a light bulb) across the meter, the apparent 'voltage' would probably more-or-less disappear.

Kind Regards, John

14 volts is OK. Well done for asking though, not everyone knows about electrics. Presumably you are testing DC volts there. AC also hurts.
I'll get shot down for suggesting this but if you see anything over 50 volts AC or DC don't touch it, run away etc.
If when you are measuring it and the volts goes down, from 14 don't stick your tongue on it.

Sponsored Links
Presumably you are testing DC volts there
The multimeter shows AC if you zoom in! :)

As an aside, if the other interlinked smoke detectors are still mounted in their bases, I believe (and I may be wrong) 9V DC would be detected in the black (grey sleeved) interlink cable, supplied by the detectors battery backup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back